International Traveler Checklist
- Verify your Passport: Make certain your passport is valid for 6 months beyond your travel. Passport applications can be submitted at the post office located at 1100 W. Kent Ave. in Missoula. Visit the US Department of State website to find application details and forms.
- Visa: Research visa requirements early by visiting your host country’s Embassy or Consulate website. You can locate the appropriate Embassy or Consulate at: http://www.embassy.org/. It may also be necessary to contact the Consulate by phone to confirm information. Please be aware that you may be required to travel in person to the Consulate for your visa interview. This requirement varies by country.
- Vaccinations: It is recommended that you meet with a nurse well in advance of your departure. Be aware of which types of vaccinations may be needed for your travel; some vaccinations may be time sensitive.
- Embassy Registration: The U.S. Department of State has a free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, formerly known as "Traveler Registration" or "Registration with Embassies." By signing up you will receive assistance in the case of an emergency, such as lost or stolen passport or natural disasters, and up-to-date information about the country to which you are traveling (including Travel Alerts and Warnings if applicable). It is strongly encouraged that you register as a traveler with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- Travel Documentation: Provide your emergency contact person with your detailed travel itinerary, including accommodations, and a copy of your passport photo page.
- Travel Tips: Visit http://travel.state.gov to learn more about local laws, travel tips, and specific country information.
- Money Matters: Research the best way to access money in your host country. Some countries run on a cash-based system and you may not have easy access to ATM machines. Contact your bank and credit card companies to inform them of your travel so you don’t have issues while abroad.
- Business Services(Faculty & Staff): Follow the UM travel guidelines and procedures as described on the Business Services website.