Incoming Students

*Please follow the steps below to ensure a smooth application process.

Step 1: Congrats on NSE Placement at University of Montana!

Complete your Placement Acceptance Form (PAF) with your home NSE Coordinator. Your home coordinator will mail a copy to the University of Montana.

Now that you are going to be a Grizzly, spend some time learning more about what it is like to live in Montana. Some important information is located under the Welcome to Montana page.


Step 2: Apply for UM Admission

Complete a Transfer Student Application:

Pay the $30 registration fee and submit official transcripts from ALL colleges attended. If you took AP, IB or CLEP exams, also send those scores to: UM Undergraduate Admissions, 101 Lommasson Center, Missoula, Montana 59812.


UM's Homecoming celebrations end with a bang!

Step 3: Complete UM's Immunization Form

Before you can register for classes or housing, complete and submit to Curry Health Center an Immunization Requirement Form. For questions, contact Curry Health Center: (406) 243-2122


Step 4: UM Student Email

Set up your UM student email. Log into UMConnect: Find your NetID:

Your password is the last 6 digits of your UM student ID number (begins with 790)


Step 5: Campus Housing

If living on campus, register for housing:

and pay the $225 housing deposit. Many NSE students choose to live off-campus in UM Lewis & Clark furnished apartments. For questions, contact UM Housing: (406) 243-2611

UM interns take time to work at the PEAS Farm

Step 6: Course Registration

After your application is complete, Cheryl will email you the name and contact information of your UM academic advisor. You will register with the credits (class standing) and courses you have completed.

Work with you home academic advisor to select courses to take while at UM. Review UM’s On-line Class Schedule, Course Catalog, and Registration Timetable . Obtain your registration PIN from your UM academic advisor. 

While on exchange to UM, your maximum credit load will be 21 semester credits.


Step 7: Financial Aid

Plan A:  UM will charge you tuition/fees, room and board, and disperse your federal financial aid. Did you remember to add UM’s FAFSA Code (#002536) to your FAFSA?

Plan B:  Lucky you – you will get TWO bills! Your home campus will charge you tuition/fees and disperse your federal financial aid. If you live on campus, UM will charge you room and board.


Step 8: Arrival Information

Fly into Missoula International Airport (MSO) – a small airport of three gates, five miles from campus. To get to campus, use Uber/Lift, or rent a car at a rental car courtesy counter located next to baggage claim.

Campus housing move-in is the weekend before classes start. Early move-in is available at a small daily fee. For questions, call UM Housing: (406) 243-2611.

To park on campus, you need a parking permit. Order, select parking and print a temporary permit through CyberBear. After you “finalize” your bill, your permit is mailed to your local CyberBear address. For questions, contact UM Parking: (406) 243-6132.

Mountain Line city buses and UM UDash buses are FREE with your Griz card. Bring your bike! UM and Missoula are designated Gold-Level Bicycle Friendly, and Missoula is ranked in the Top 20 bicycling towns in the U.S.


Step 9: Orientation

Online and on-campus orientation is optional. For more information and/or to register: 


Step 10: Keep in Touch

Share your MONTANA exchange expereince with your friends, home campus, and on Facebook and Instagram. Keep your home campus academic advisor and NSE Coordinator updated via email.


Step 11: Order Official Transcript / Print Unofficial Copy

At the Registrar’s Office (Lommasson Center 201) or online (, order an official UM transcript be sent to your home campus after semester grades are posted. 

On CyberBear, print an unofficial transcript to take home with you. Click Student Services – Student Records – Academic Transcript, then select level and click Submit.


Step 12: Return home … or not

Return Home:

Pay off your student account, say good-bye to new friends and your advisor, take photographs, enjoy a final Mo Burger and hike the “M” one last time.

Extend Exchange: 

Contact both your home and UM NSE Coordinators. Students are allowed 2 semesters of exchange at 1 school.

Become a GRIZ:

Contact both your home and UM NSE Coordinators, UM Enrollment Services, and  your UM academic advisor. Keep UM’s Code (002536) on your FAFSA.

Your admissions status will become “out-of-state” and you will pay out-of-state tuition. For more information, contact Admissions: (406) 243-6266.


When you arrive on campus at the University of Montana, you will be greeted by a warm, openhearted welcome and a deep breath of fresh air. No … not the clean air that you inhaled when you stepped off the plane, but rather the refreshing kindness and welcoming nature that define Montanans.

At UM, we are proud of our 125-year old campus and diverse community that strives for greatness in the classroom, in the professional sphere and on the field. It is with great pride that we are called “The Griz.”

Your time on campus will fly by, but the memories, friendships and knowledge you obtain here will travel with you the rest of your life, spreading the pride and tradition of the Montana Grizzlies across the world.

Take 30 seconds to watch the video below to get an idea about what students' lives are like at the University of Montana.

Not only does UM offer a variety of events and activities for students to participate in year-round, but Missoula also provides the perfect scene for college students. An active, vibrant community, Missoula is busy with events, concerts, and adventures, yet has a laid back mentality so you’ll never miss out on the fun happening around town. Just click the link below to get in the loop with all the Missoula events.

Montana’s culture encourages exploration of some of Northern America’s most beautiful sights, including Glacier National Park. Explorers of all experiences levels are welcome to travel, hike, fish, camp, hunt, ski, or simply experience unbelievably breathtaking adventures.

If you ski or snowboard, six ski areas are within 130 miles from campus, including Snowbowl only 14 miles away. Campus Rec offers discounted student lift tickets and if you buy one to Snowbowl it includes free transportation to/from the ski hill.

If you need equipment for your Montana exploration, contact UM Campus Rec Center where you can rent all the tools and gear you need for your adventures. The Center’s adventure assistants can give you advice on where to go and has guides who can assist you. Click the Campus Recreation link below.