ASUM Legal Services
ASUM Legal Services has provided low cost legal assistance to eligible students of the University of Montana since 1975. We are comprised of three attorneys (Annie Hamilton, Klaus Sitte, and Lou Villemez), one legal secretary (Samantha Seidensticker), as well as law school student interns working under the supervision of licensed attorneys.
ASUM Legal Services
University Center 116
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Services We Offer
ASUM Legal Assistance
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide full attorney representation on every case. There is a fee of $25 for your initial advice appointment, and additional fees for additional services. We provide legal advice, assistance and sometimes attorney representation on a variety of legal matters, including:
- Landlord & Tenant and Housing issues
For other housing issues (such as foreclosure or discrimination) you may contact us at ASUM Legal Services directly.
- Document drafting-- Wills, Powers of Attorney, informal Guardianships, Living Wills, Deeds, Contracts, etc.
- Family law including divorce, custody, child support and adoptions
- Consumer matters, including debt problems, car sales and repair problems, fraud and identity theft
- Criminal cases-- misdemeanors only, not felonies
- Civil rights
- Property damage matters
- Almost any legal issue we can provide some advice, resources or referral
In addition to specific legal advice and assistance, ASUM Legal Services offers a wealth of legal information and legal resources for the students of the University of Montana, including:
- See the informative articles and links below in the Information You Should Know section
- Montana Legal Services Association
- Montana Law Help - Do It Yourself assistance
- ASUM Renter Center
- Lawyer referrals for cases that we can't handle
- Referrals to other resources and agencies, both legal and non-legal
- We also have an in house Notary Public for your document notarizing needs
Initial Screening - Intake appointment
In order to obtain legal advice and assistance, you must first schedule an intake appointment by calling (406) 243-6213, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or stopping by our office.
At your appointment, you will meet with an administrative assistant and explain the facts of your case. Your intake will then go to an attorney who will determine what assistance we can provide, and we will follow-up with you in approximately 1-3 business days.
Intake appointments are brief, so please be prepared to summarize your legal problem. Bring any tickets, court documents, and any other paperwork you think may be relevant. You will need the names of anyone who is involved in your legal problem, including the adverse/opposing person(s). You will also need your Student ID Number, Phone Number, Address, your student status (full time or part time), and your expected date of graduation.
Following your intake appointment, if you receive an appointment to receive legal advice there is a fee of $25, and there are additional fees for additional services.