Student Group Resource Guide



Group Recognition

Financial Accounts


Alcohol Policy

Risk Management

Travel Guidelines





 Student group involvement is an important part of the college experience. In order for student groups to function smoothly and responsibly, it is important for members to be aware of, and comply with, certain University polices and procedures.

ASUM-recognized student groups represent a wide variety of academic, pre-professional, spiritual, political, musical, support, service, sport and special interest topics. Currently there are almost 200 ASUM recognized clubs and organizations, of which approximately three-fourths receive direct funding from ASUM. To see a complete list of the student groups recognized for the 2017-18 academic year, visit the student group listing (alphabetical or by category).

Contact Jessica Goodman, ASUM Office Manager, for assistance with your group’s business activities and transactions.  She and the ASUM Receptionists can also take deposits for group accounts and email account financial statements. Each student group will be assigned an ASUM Senator as liaison to serve as a resource for the group.


All returning (or previously recognized) student groups must apply for recognition at the beginning of each academic year. New groups must also apply for recognition. See the ASUM Student Group Recognition Application for information on membership criteria and deadlines.


Some of the benefits of becoming an ASUM recognized student group include:

  • Travel assistance
  • Free use of meeting rooms in the UC for group activities. Contact the Event Planning Office in UC 340, email, or call 243-4113 to make a reservation. Information on making arrangements through Event Planning is available in the Student Guide to Event Planning;
  • Free UC atrium table privileges (see contact information for Event Planning above);
  • Listing of your group and group contact information on ASUM’s website;
  • Ability to request funds from various ASUM accounts (see Funding)
  • ASUM financial services, which includes making deposits, payments and travel reservations.
  • As part of The University, student groups enjoy tax-exempt status. This is not the same as non-profit status and ASUM cannot provide a document stating this. Contact the ASUM Office Manager for more information.


Recognized student groups that don’t already have an account with ASUM may be assigned one at any time. We call these MST accounts because they begin with the letters MST and are followed by three numbers. MST accounts provide the means for your group to request money from your group’s ASUM account to purchase items and pay for services.

The ASUM Office Manager is available to help groups conduct their business and understand their financial statements but it is up to the groups themselves to monitor and keep track of all their own deposits and payment activities and the balance of their account. ASUM assumes no financial responsibility for groups that incur debt.

All monies collected for a group must be deposited into their ASUM account prior to dispersal.

A group cannot make arrangements to spend money it doesn’t already have in its account. If a group is anticipating funding for an event from other sources, the ASUM Office Manager must be informed in advance. If such arrangements are not made, and funds are lacking, the Office Manager reserves the right to withhold approval for an event/purchase/payment/travel arrangement to go forward. (Note from your friendly neighborhood Office Manager: I might not always be able or available to assist you with a last-minute crisis due to lack of planning. Plan ahead and keep me informed. When in doubt, seek me out!)

Financial Transactions

Deposits - Your group may deposit cash or checks when you have an established MST account (contact the ASUM Office Manager to establish a new one). Checks should be made out to the name of the group or The University of Montana, not individuals.  Checks written to student groups must be cashed within 30 days.

Once there are sufficient funds in an account there are four ways members can access their group’s funds:

     1. Petty Cash refunds – When an authorized group member (an authorized group member who is listed on the recognition form and authorized to handle the group's funds) covers expenses on behalf of a group up to $100.00, s/he may bring an itemized receipt (i.e. credit card receipts that show a total, but do not show details, do not qualify - pay special attention when dealing with pizza delivery companies) to the ASUM Office Manager in UC 104 to be reimbursed with cash from your student group MST account. If the receipt is more than 30 days old, reimbursement will be made by submitting a check request (see next item). Petty Cash reimbursements are not available for travel or contract expenses (see subsequent sections).

     2. Check Payment Requests - The Office Manager will submit check payment requests for members needing to be reimbursed for more than $100.00; or a member who has receipts more than 30 days old; or for groups that have invoices from businesses. The University issues and mails checks on Thursdays only. To meet this deadline, invoices must be provided to the Office Manager in person, by fax or as email attachments by noon the preceding Friday (OR SOONER), otherwise the payment won’t be mailed for more than a week. Reimbursement checks must be cashed within 180 days of issue.  To process check reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses, you'll need to provide the Office Manager with the name, student ID number, phone number, email address, and current mailing address for the person to be reimbursed.  Also be aware University policy is to pay invoices within 25 days unless the invoice states otherwise (e.g. "Due on Receipt," etc.).

     3. Procard Purchases - The Office Manager also has a University-issued credit card for making online purchases/payments or for paying business invoices. Use of the credit card is also the best way to pay for some travel expenses (see travel).

     4. On-campus Payments - Groups can use their MST Banner account index codes to pay for products and services on campus, such as at Campus Quick Copy, the UC Bookstore, Facilities Services, Event Planning and Catering. These departments charge the MST account directly.  [Please note:  Campus Quick Copy charges a minimum of $3 per month.  If there will be multiple charges within a month, you can request a "running bill."  Running bills are closed, and the total charged, at the end of each month ($3 minimum).]

Paying People for Contract Services - ANNOUNCEMENT: All student groups planning to host an event that includes a contracted service (a persone providing a specialized service such as a guest speaker, referee, contest judge, d.j., graphic designer, etc.) MUST fill out a Statement of Work Form and provide a W-9 PRIOR to the event. The ASUM Office Manager must receive the necessary documentation in advance of the service being performed or payment cannot be guaranteed. 

The University has clear guidelines and procedures for making payments to individuals who are hired by a student group to provide a service. Payment requests for persons, whether students, UM faculty or staff, coaches, independent contractors, guest speakers, referees, contest judges, etc. require additional paperwork and extra time to process. Depending on the situation, an individual may need to be hired by The University as a student employee or temporary classified staff. The ASUM Office Manager will need plenty of advance notice to make arrangements and process such transactions.

Here are examples of situations when student groups might make payments to individuals. An example of the corresponding required paperwork is also included:

     • Independent Contractors are individuals who are not students or employees of the University that have some form of expertise and provide their services for a limited period of time, such as a DJ, referee, graphic designer, guest speaker, or contest judge. Two forms must be submitted to the ASUM Office Managerin advance; the Statement of Work form completed by the group and the W-9 form completed and signed by the Independent Contractor.  These documents must be submitted at least two weeks before the independent contractor performs services for the student group.

     • Students who are to be paid for providing a service must be hired by The University and are paid through ASUM’s student payroll. Contact the ASUM Office Manager about the required paperwork.

     • Faculty or staff also must be paid as employees of The University. Contact the ASUM Office Manager about the required paperwork.

     • Individuals with no UM affiliation who are not hired for any particular skill or expertise, such as security personnel for an event, must be hired by The University and paid through ASUM’s payroll roster as temporary employees. Contact the ASUM Office Manager about the required paperwork.

Purchasing Gift Certificates or Gift Baskets

Groups can only use their own funds (i.e. not ASUM-allocated funds) to pay for gift certificates or baskets unless approved by the ASUM Senate Board on Budget and Finance.  Be aware that gift certificates are considered by The University  to be income to faculty and staff and will have to be declared as such.  No alcohol can be included in a gift basket.

Alcohol Purchase Policy

Group funds cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol. Groups must adhere to UM Drug and Alcohol Policies and the Student Conduct Code when sponsoring activities and events. Violation of these policies may result in loss of group recognition or more severe sanctions imposed by either or both ASUM and The University of Montana. See the Alcohol Policy below for more information.

Off-campus Checking Accounts

Groups are not allowed to have outside checking, savings, or PayPal accounts. This policy ensures year to year financial accountability, responsibility and transparency. It is in place to protect individual student group members, ASUM and groups themselves.

Financial Statements

There are two financial statements detailing a group’s ASUM financial activity that can be emailed. To request emails with a group’s financial statements contact the ASUM Office Manager. The first statement details a group’s financial transactions and the second statement details a group’s budget and current balance. Click to see a sample Operating Statement with Fund Balance, and an explanation for how to interpret the information, or a sample Transaction Listing.



Groups raise funds in a variety of ways: selling tickets to events; selling products such as baked goods or T-shirts; soliciting donations from campus departments and administrative offices; dues; contributions from national or local affiliates; and soliciting donations from businesses and individuals. Any monies raised by groups themselves are considered their own to spend as they want, as long as they are in compliance with UM and ASUM Fiscal Policy and procedures. A group’s own funds carry over from one fiscal year to the next whereas ASUM allocated funds do not (see item 1. under ASUM Allocations below). Student groups wanting to provide tax-deductible receipts for donations must deposit those donations into an ASUM Foundation account.  Donation checks can still be made out in the name of your group but must then be given to the ASUM Office Manager, Jessica Goodman, who will forward them to the Foundation.  The Foundation will send a receipt directly to the donor, as long as a mailing address is provided.  The Foundation will assess a 6% fee per donation.  The donated funds, less 6%, can then be used by your group to pay expenses.  Click for information on how to provide acknowledgement for tax purposes of donated items or services.

ASUM Allocations

There are four possible sources of funding through ASUM:

     1. Annual Spring Budgeting - Currently recognized groups may apply for funding during the Annual Budgeting Allocation that takes place early each spring semester. This allocation process is for funds made available for the following fiscal year, which runs July 1 through June 30. Allocations are assigned in specific expense categories, such as supplies or rent, (usually as requested by the group). Any ASUM allocated funds which remain unspent by the end of The University’s fiscal year are reclaimed by ASUM. Groups need to pay close attention to the expense categories they spend from so they don’t end up with a negative balance at the end of the fiscal year when ASUM removes unspent allocated funds. The ASUM Business Manager contacts all student groups at the beginning of each spring semester about the process for applying for an ASUM allocation.

     2. Special Allocations can be applied for by recognized groups anytime during the semester, but any funds that are awarded must be spent as awarded during that semester. Recommendations regarding Special Allocations are made by the ASUM Senate Budget and Finance Committee and are then voted on by the ASUM Senate which meets most Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m. To submit a Special Allocation request, or if you have questions, please contact the ASUM Business Manager at or call 243-2704. When a Special Allocation is awarded, the funds are not transferred to the group’s account. Instead, the expense is paid from an ASUM administrative account.

     3. Travel Allocation requests may be submitted by recognized groups and are due early- September for fall semester and early in February for spring semester. Recommendations regarding Travel Allocations are made by the ASUM Senate Budget and Finance Committee and are then voted on by the ASUM Senate. To submit a Travel Allocation request, or if you have questions, please contact the ASUM Business Manager, at or call 243-2704. When a Travel Allocation is awarded, the funds are not transferred to the group’s account. Instead, the expense is paid from an ASUM administrative account.

     4. STIP Requests are for capital improvements with long term value. STIP Requests are for equipment with a value of at least $150 which will be of use to a recognized group for a minimum of two years. To submit a STIP Request, or if you have questions, please contact the ASUM Business Manager, at 243-2704 or email When a STIP Request is approved, the funds are not transferred to the group’s account. Instead, the expense is paid from an ASUM administrative account.


ANNOUNCEMENT: All student groups that are planning to travel MUST fill out a Request amd Authorization to Travel Form PRIOR to the travel event in order to receive reimburrsement. Contact the ASUM Office Manager at least two weeks prior to travel in order to llow time to prepare the necessary paperwork.

When an individual member, or several members, of a group want to make travel arrangements by making use of their group’s own funds or ASUM Travel Allocation funds, several steps need to be taken.

  1. Funding
  2. Primary Traveler
  3. R.A.T. Form and Reservations
  4. Personal Car
  5. Motorpool
  6. Registration Fees
  7. Food
  8. Out-of-Pocket Reimbursement
  9. Group Travel
10. Rental Cars
11. Receipts and Reports

12. #Travel-Insurance-and-Liability

1. FUNDING Make sure your group has sufficient funds in your ASUM account, or that funds will be forthcoming from other University departments, to cover all expenses and reimbursements. Groups can only use their own funds for travel. No ASUM funds can be used unless awarded by the ASUM Senate as a Travel Allocation.

2. PRIMARY TRAVELER Designate a primary traveler (PT) if more than one member will be traveling. This should be the person who will be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses during the trip. This person needs to provide the ASUM Office Manager with the following information:

a. Name of the group
b. PT’s full name
c. PT’s student ID number
d. PT’s current mailing address
e. PT’s phone number
 f. PT’s email address
g. Dates of the trip
h. Destination and purpose of the trip
 i. Mode of travel
 j. Name and student ID number of each traveler (use Group Travel Form – see item #9 below)
k. Detailed list of all the anticipated expenses (Do not underestimate! Expenses which occur but are not included in the Request and Authorization to Travel - see #3 below - cannot be reimbursed.)
 l. How much is to be reimbursed. (This amount is not necessarily the same as actual out-of-pocket expenses because a group’s budget might not allow for total reimbursement.)
m. Whether a per diem advance is needed (allow at least 2 weeks)

3. R.A.T. FORM AND RESERVATIONS The PT must visit the ASUM Office Manager in UC 112 to provide the necessary information, assist in filling out, and sign the Request and Authorization to Travel (RAT) form prior to the trip. The RAT form is a worksheet for known travel expenses and secures authorization to travel on behalf of The University. If not completed and signed by the PT in advance of the trip, The University is under no obligation to process reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. Travelers are responsible for making all their own arrangements but the Office Manager is able to pay for a variety of expenses with a UM-issued credit card, as well as arrange for reimbursements or per diem advances for meals. Group members need to make arrangements in advance (i.e. reserve flights, make a reservation for lodging, have previously researched websites, etc.) then provide the Office Manager the reservation information so payment can be made with the credit card. Flights, motel or hotel reservations, conference registrations, etc. can all be paid for, or reserved in advance, by the ASUM Office Manager. The University prefers that plane tickets and lodging be paid by University credit card. Once these payments have been made, however, it is incumbent upon the traveler(s) to confirm payments and reservations with the airline and motel or hotel. Groups are required to seek lodging that does not exceed the federal per diem rate when travelling out of state, or the state per diem rate when travelling within Montana.  If the lodging rate is higher than the government rate, then the PT must complete a Request for Reimbursement of Actual Lodging Costs form (see the ASUM Office Manager).

4. PERSONAL CAR If a traveler is driving a personal car and wants to be reimbursed for gas, s/he may either be paid by the ASUM mileage reimbursement rate of .15 per mile, or turn in receipts for gas actually purchased. The ASUM rate tends to be a little higher (currently), but the traveler might not want that extra cost charged to their group. Click for information on liability and insurance.

Be aware that neither students nor any private vehicles are covered by University insurance.

5. MOTORPOOL Student groups may rent vehicles from Transportation Services Motorpool. To reserve a vehicle or vehicles, visit the ASUM Office Manager in UC 112.  The cost to rent a Motorpool vehicle ranges from $8.25-$15 per day, plus $0.38-0.62 per mile.  Click for more information on Motorpool vehicles and ratesIf renting a van or driving a vehicle for 7 or more passengers, trained drivers are required. To find out when van training sessions are offered in Missoula go to Transportation Services vehicles are covered by University insurance

6. REGISTRATION FEES Registration fees for conferences, etc. may be paid in advance by check or credit card by the ASUM Office Manager on behalf of group members. If the payment is to be paid by check, the Office Manager will need a statement or invoice, and possibly a W-9 form, filled out by the organization to be paid. (This is only necessary the first time an organization is paid and from then on their information is in the University system). Be sure to allow at least two to three weeks for the check request to be submitted, the check processed, issued and mailed.

7. FOOD If a traveler has approval for their food to be paid from a group’s own funds in their ASUM account, there are three ways to do so. First, is to be reimbursed for actual expenses based on receipts that are turned in as long as the state mandated per diem rate is not exceeded. Second, is to be reimbursed at a per diem rate. This rate is usually more than what is normally paid out-of-pocket, so most travelers don’t have their group cover this expense. Third, is to get a per diem advance by having a check mailed to cover meals during the trip. Groups may only use their own funds for food (ASUM-allocated funds or Travel Allocation funds cannot be used). Requests for a per diem advance should be submitted at least 2-3 weeks prior to travel.

8. OUT-OF-POCKET REIMBURSEMENT Out-of-pocket incidentals, such as taxis, parking, tolls and shuttles, may also be reimbursed but only as long as original itemized receipts are provided and an adequate estimate was included in the RAT form (see #3). Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses, including prepayment of major expenses that have not been charged to the Office Manager’s credit card, cannot be made until the trip is completed.

9. GROUP TRAVEL If three or more members are traveling together, a Group Travel Form needs to be filled out and submitted along with receipts at the end of a trip. Group members only need to provide their name and student ID number, it is not necessary to fill out any of the other information on the form except the name of the primary traveler and the destination.

10. RENTAL CARS The State of Montana contracts with two rental car companies, Enterprise and Hertz, for reduced rates for those travelling on University business, including student groups who have signed the RAT.  Student group funds cannot be used to pay for supplemental insuranceIndividuals may do so at their own expense. Click for information on liability and insurance.

11. RECEIPTS AND REPORTS Once a trip is concluded, the primary traveler is responsible for submitting all original itemized receipts (e.g. the hotel/motel statement issued upon checkout) to the Office Manager as travel reports are due within 10 days of the conclusion of a trip. Once all receipts are submitted to the Office Manager, the Travel Expense Report (TER) will be filled out for the primary traveler to sign. Both travel forms will then be submitted to Business Services and a reimbursement check issued. This all takes time, so please be patient. “Travelers, who do not file for reimbursement of travel costs within 60 days after incurring the expense, waive their right to reimbursement.” (Travel Guidelines/Procedures – UM Business Services)

12. Click for information on travel insurance and liability for Student Groups.


The University of Montana considers students and others who participate in activities sponsored by student groups to be adults who understand the nature and risk of such activities and accept personal responsibility for their conduct without need for supervision. The University assumes no responsibility for a participant's bodily injury or personal property damage during student group activities. Students are advised to have appropriate medical insurance, skill training and protective equipment, where applicable, and must have a valid driver's license and automobile insurance before driving any vehicle in connection with University activities.

It is expected that all members and participants of student group activities will abide by the Drug and Alcohol Guidelines of The University of Montana and the Student Conduct Code. Please click for information on generating Risk Management Plans for Specials Events or Student Projects. If you have questions, or would like more information about risk management or insurance coverage, please contact Kathy Krebsach of the Environmental Health and Risk Management Department at or call 243-2700.

Sports Club Union team members must complete and sign a mandatory Medical Authorization/Emergency Medical Release/Acknowledgement of Risk form which can be found on the Sport's Club Union Page.


Unless your group receives permission in advance, the consumption of alcoholic beverages during ASUM-recognized student group sponsored activities and events is prohibited by the University Alcohol Policy. ASUM-allocated funds, or a student group’s own funds, cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol. Groups with Foundation accounts (see the Fundraising section of this guide for information about Foundation accounts) can use those funds for the purchase of alcohol, but only by going through University Catering. With advance permission, obtained by filling out an Alcohol Use Application and obtaining the required signatures, student groups can provide for alcohol to be served during group-sponsored events, but only if the alcohol is served by University Catering, a licensed vendor (such as a bar), a server trained by an authorized alcohol service program (e.g. TIPS training or the Missoula County DUI Task Force Responsible Alcohol Sales and Service Training Program or the Montana Department of Revenue), and if an event is not primarily intended for undergraduates. Student group funds (but not ASUM allocations) can be used to pay licensed vendors or authorized servers if approval is secured at least ten days prior to the event. To recap: ASUM-recognized groups can use their own funds to hire licensed vendors or authorized servers (attendees of the event who are of age may then use their own money to purchase a drink), but cannot purchase alcohol directly unless the funds come from a pre-established UM Foundation account. Contact Phoebe Hunter, ASUM Office Manager, at least two weeks in advance to make the necessary arrangements for each event that involves the availability of alcohol.

There are a number of restrictions that apply to the provision of alcohol during student group events, so it is important to bear all of the following in mind:

     o All events, except for tailgate parties, held on University property that involve the service of alcoholic beverages must be scheduled through University Catering Services, 243-4899. Alcohol can either be served by University Catering or the UM-contracted licensed alcohol vendor whose services are arranged through University Catering. The sale of alcoholic beverages or any indirect means of collecting money to pay for alcoholic beverages by student groups is prohibited. These activities can only take place through University Catering or the licensed vendor who caters an event. University Catering has first right of refusal for on-campus events.
     o Groups wanting to sponsor events featuring alcohol, are required to submit an Alcohol Use Application.   The form requires event and risk management information and five signatures: your group faculty advisor, the Vice President for Student Affairs (University Hall 022), the Office of Public Safety (Physical Plant Bldg. 32), Environmental Health & Risk Management (Physical Plant Bldg. 32, Room 139) and the Office of the President (University Hall 109).  Event insurance might be required.  Contact Kathy Krebsbach, UM Director of Risk Management and Insurance, at 243-2700 or, if you have any questions or concerns about risk management .
     o Consumption of alcohol shall be in connection with a substantive event, such as a banquet, official entertainment, reception or fundraiser.
     o Either University Catering Services or a licensed vendor must be used for all off-campus events promoted by sponsoring student groups involving the service of alcohol.
     o Alcohol cannot be served for more than four hours and alcohol service must end 30 minutes prior to the event end. Non-alcoholic beverages and food must also be available.
     o Alcoholic beverages must not be served to minors. Adults risk criminal liability, and civil liability, when minors consume alcoholic beverages. All event participants must present ID demonstrating they are of legal age.
     o At events where alcoholic beverages are made available by the sponsoring student group, direct access shall be limited to designated servers and consumption permitted only within designated and monitored areas.
     o Drinking competitions are prohibited. Activities promoting forced consumption of alcohol are not allowed and could subject those individuals providing alcohol to civil liability.
     o Service must be refused to anyone who appears to be intoxicated.
     o Access to the event must be controlled. A plan must be implemented for controlling and limiting the quantity of alcohol served. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring student group to monitor the event for excessive consumption and to ensure that only those of legal age are being served.
     o The Office of Public Safety must be informed prior to an on-campus event that involves the service of alcoholic beverages.
     o Safe transportation to and from events should be encouraged and/or provided, including a designated driver program.
     o Alcohol may not be the focus of the event. The amount of alcohol may not be used as an inducement to attend or participate in an event, and event promotional material may not make reference to the amount of alcohol available for consumption, such as number of beer kegs.
     o Event advertisements shall mention the availability of food and nonalcoholic beverages as prominently as alcohol.
     o Alcoholic beverages are not to be provided as free awards to individual students or campus groups.
     o University-recognized student organizations may not apply for a special permit from the State of Montana Liquor Division.
     o Groups can use donated alcohol from a licensed provider or distributor only, whether for an on or off-campus event. Alcohol donated from a private individual or other non-licensed provider is not permitted. Any University sponsored event with donated alcohol must still follow all University Alcohol policies and an Alcohol Use Application must be submitted.  On-campus events using donated alcohol will pay a corkage fee to cover costs associated with the serving of the alcohol. The current UM authorized licensed provider has the first right of refusal for donating alcohol for on-campus events before an outside source is permitted. Only a licensed provider or a server trained by an authorized alcohol service program can serve donated alcohol off campus.
     o Persons selling or serving alcohol may not themselves consume any alcohol. All assigned servers of alcoholic beverages must have current training certification (see first paragraph of Alcohol Policy above) in the responsible serving of alcohol, including the prevention of sales to underage or intoxicated customers.
     o Sale of Alcohol (Direct or Indirect) – Under state regulations, payment of a registration fee or entry fee to attend an event at which alcohol is provided as part of the admission fee is an indirect sale of alcohol and treated the same as a direct sale/cash bar. Any sale of alcohol requires a licensed alcohol vendor. The alcohol vendor must possess a current all-beverage license and an annually renewed catering permit.
     o Violations of University alcohol regulations are also violations of The University of Montana Student Conduct Code. Violators are subject to disciplinary action pursuant to the Code. The University, including ASUM, may deny privileges to a student organization or impose other sanctions for alcohol violations.


Each ASUM-recognized student group must have a faculty or classified staff advisor. Teaching assistants cannot serve as advisors. The role and level of involvement of the faculty/staff advisor will vary from group to group, but advisors do have responsibilities and, at a minimum, should be actively involved in the following ways:

     • Have his/her name and university phone number listed as the group advisor on the ASUM website and respond to inquiries as necessary.
     • Advise the group on the expenditure of ASUM-allocated funds, if requested. However, it is expected that student members themselves will handle and be accountable for all of the group’s business and finances.
     • Assist the group, if requested, to prepare the Annual Spring Budgeting Allocation request.
     • Assist the group with the completion of the ASUM Student Group Recognition Application, if requested, and keep a copy of the completed form on file.
     • Be fully familiar with University Drug and Alcohol Policies and the Student Conduct Code and be prepared to enforce these with regard to group activities.
     • Be fully familiar with the nature of the group’s activities, the risks associated with those activities, and the precautions needed to ensure the safety of members and others involved with group activities. (see Risk Management section)
     • Advise and participate in the conduct of formal meetings and elections to ensure proper procedures are followed.

The role of the advisor is to provide advice and counsel and serve as a mentor and role model. It is not appropriate for advisors to steer the group in a direction that serves the purpose or beliefs of the advisor. ASUM-recognized student groups are intended to be student defined and student driven. Advisors are to assist student groups in ways that are relevant to the purpose of the group. It is inappropriate for advisors to address personal or academic matters that are irrelevant to the activities or business of the group in a club setting.

Advisors may be replaced at any time if student members are dissatisfied with their participation or lack thereof. In the event of either an advisor being replaced or resigning from the position, notice must be given promptly to Jessica Goodman, ASUM Office Manager.
As a faculty or classified staff advisor, enjoy the opportunity to enhance students’ educational experience by sharing your expertise and enthusiasm.


The University of Montana is committed to identifying, preventing, and eliminating physical and/or programmatic barriers that interfere with participants’ access and benefit from University programs, facilities and resources. ASUM strives for equal and full participation in all facilities, services, programs and events and encourages student groups to offer barrier free access to all their events and activities by taking proactive measures to provide disability related modifications, such as Assistive Listening Devices, ramps, captioning/subtitling, etc. For more information, contact the ASUM Office Manager at 243-2120 or visit

Planning to meet in the UC? Here is a list of assistive equipment and acommodations available upon request:

  • FM Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) for use with telecoil equipped hearing aids
  • Infrared ALD's for use with or without a hearing aid
  • Ramp for a stage
  • Table risers
  • UC publications available in alternative formats
  • Closed Captioning or Subtitling when possible
  • Automatic door openers
  • Elevators
  • TTY phone at The Source


Student Group Finances, Travel, Student Group Recognition and Forming a new Student Group - Jessica Goodman, ASUM Office Manager, 243-2120, 

Event Planning - 243-4113,

Catering - 243-4899,

University Rental Vehicles - Motorpool, 243-2024,

Facilities Services Workorder Desk - 243-6091,

Permission to chalk sidewalks - Julie Rogers, 243-4662,

Permission to use The Oval - President's Office, 243-2311,