- Wide range of wood biomass indigenous to Western Montana.
- Estimated use of 15,624 bone dry tons per year.
- Forest based slash (tops, limbs, stumpage) and low-market value in-field grindings, commonly known as ‘hog fuel’.
- Fuel shall be free from non-combustible and non-biomass material, such as paint, nails, glues, chemical, sealers, rocks and dirt. Fuel must not contain treated lumber or construction waste.
- Technology can accept a wide range of woody biomass fuel and moisture content.
Fuel Source and Delivery
- Resource base will consist of public and private holdings. All wood fuel is to be obtained in a safe and legal manner.
- Quality and quantity of woody biomass required for this project is sustainable in an approximate 40 mile radius.
- Delivery to the campus with approximately 3 truck loads a week.
- Storage at the heating plant for two days, fuel supplied on a consistent annual basis.
- Secure longer term contracts of five years for woody biomass fuel.
- Fuel supply contracts will need to account for fluxuation of diesel fuel.
- Estimated cost for woody biomass fuel is $40/bone dry ton with 2% inflation.