STUDENT REFUNDS/ELECTRONIC DELIVERY
What you can expect to receive in the mail
Selecting a Bank
Things to consider when making your preference
Instructions for chosing your preference
Frequently Asked Questions
- To receive a refund you must be paid with a credit balance and have no financial holds on your account
- Refunds are directly deposited into a bank of your choice
- UM uses a strategic partner, Higher One, to process refunds electronically
- Students must notify Higher One where to deposit the funds
The University of Montana processes all student refunds electronically. New students will receive detailed instructions and information regarding the UM Refund Choice in a bright green envelope (pictured below); this is your key to select a refund choice/preference. If you obtain loans, grants or scholarships to attend school, you may receive more money than you need to pay your tuition and other school-related expenses. If a credit balance remains on your account after all charges have been paid, you will be issued a refund. Even if a student doesn’t expect to receive a refund, it is important to select a preference. A credit balance may occur due to a dropped or cancelled class, a change in meal plan, etc. If all charges have been paid, a refund will be processed for the amount of the credit balance and sent according to the instructions provided by the student.
You will be provided with a unique refund key code that will allow you to complete a form online that requires you to provide account information regarding the bank of your choice for a direct deposit.
Additionally, the electronic refund program offers an option for students to open an FDIC insured online checking account with access to free ATMs on campus through our strategic partner, Higher One. With this in mind, we offer this resource which includes a section on selecting a bank account that is right for you: Banking your Money
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE IN THE MAIL
Higher One offers an online checking account. It is not required that you use the Higher One account to receive you electronic refund. You may choose to use your existing bank account or open an account at any bank or credit union.
SELECTING A BANK
When you get money, whether it’s from grants or scholarships paid directly to you, your Work-Study job, or your parents or guardians, it's best to deposit the money into a bank checking or savings account. Keeping your money in the bank is safer than cashing checks—and much safer than keeping cash in your room or in your wallet.
Click here for more information on banks and banking, how to choose the right bank or credit union, find the account that meets your needs, and manage your account wisely.
CHOSING AN ACCOUNT PREFERENCE
Local Bank or Credit Union
- Offers drive through, walk in, online banking and other services
- Allows you the opportunity maintain a relationship with that institution now and in the future
- Other banking services including savings accounts and loans
- Check with your bank or credit union for fees schedules
- Strictly an online checking account
- Customer Service Phone: 1-866-751-7731
- Online assistance Easy Help
- Review the fee schedules.
- Many banks charge ATM usage fees.
- In some cases, fees are charged solely to users who are not customers of the bank where the ATM is installed.
- In other instances, fees apply to all users.
- Check with your bank or credit union for details on ATM location and fees.
Higher One ATM
- Free ATM use at Higher One ATMs
- Missoula College
- Mansfield Library
- Lommasson Center
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING YOUR REFUND CHOICE
When you receive your UM Refund Choice Card perform the following steps:
Log into UMRefundChoiceCard.com
Enter the unique key code or the 16-digit number on Higher One card.
Complete the step-by-step instructions.
Click Here for a PDF version with screen examples.
1. Authenticate card
2. Create username and password.
3. Verify and complete personal profile
4. Click “Show me all choices” at the bottom of the “Learn about your Refund Choices” page
5. Select refund choice.
6. Select email notification preferences
- “ACH Transfer” – Direct Deposit to a bank of your choice
- “Easy Refund” – open an on-line bank account with Higher One
7. Review and print Summary page.
8. Sign out.
Note: Once you complete these steps, you will be sent an email summarizing your choice. You will also receive an email asking you to confirm your email address. This email will contain a confirmation code. It is important to confirm your email as this provides you with added security and ensures that you will receive necessary information.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click below for FAQs