2013-2014 Course Catalog

The University Of Montana

International Student Admission

The University of Montana-Missoula Enrollment Services-Admissions Office will issue the Immigration Form I-20  (necessary for obtaining an F 1 student visa) to international applicants who are academically eligible for the undergraduate degree status (see above) and who supply complete credentials as described below. In certain situations an international applicant may not need an I- 20; in these cases, Enrollment Services-Admissions should be contacted for individual advice regarding admission status, academic eligibility, and admission requirements. International students are encouraged to submit ACT or SAT scores if available, but ACT or SAT scores are not required for admission.

How to Apply

Receipt of the following credentials constitutes a complete international application for admission:

  1. International application form. This form can be obtained by contacting Enrollment Services-Admissions. The form must be complete and signed. Applications are also available on the university website at http://admissions.umt.edu/apply/html.
  2. $30.00 paper application fee or $36.00 on-line application fee (in US dollars). This non refundable fee is payable once at the undergraduate level when payment is followed by enrollment. In all other cases record of payment will remain on file for one year. Payment of this fee is expected prior to consideration of the application. The University of Montana-Missoula waives the application fee for students who have attended an affiliate campus: Montana Tech and the Division of Technology, Helena College of Technology, and Western Montana College.
  3. Academic Credentials:
    1. Official or certified copies of non-U.S. academic credentials beginning with secondary school and continuing through the highest level of achievement.
    2. U.S. transcripts. Complete official transcripts showing all U.S. high school and college/university attendance.
  4. Statement of Financial Support. The applicant must submit a certified statement from a bank or sponsor verifying that adequate financial resources are available to pay for the student's estimated expenses for the first year (tuition, fees, room, board, miscellaneous expenses, student health insurance, expenses of dependents, etc.). This estimated amount is adjusted annually and is available by contacting Enrollment Services-Admissions.
  5. English Language Proficiency. An official score report showing one of the following:

Those students who are citizens of countries where English is the native tongue need not submit proof of English language proficiency, unless English is not the student's native language. Students who have test scores below the minimum requirement may be eligible for conditional admission.

Any questions concerning the evidence of proficiency in English should be directed to Enrollment Services-Admissions.  When the student arranges to take the TOEFL test, he or she should request that examination results be sent directly to Enrollment Services-Admissions, The University of Montana-Missoula, Missoula, Montana 59812. (Code N. 4489 00)

Conditional Admission

International students who have not met the required test score and who meet all other admission requirements will be offered conditional admission. Conditionally admitted students study in an intensive program at The University of Montana-Missoula English Language Institute (ELI) on campus until the minimum English language proficiency is met or the student is recommended by ELI. After English proficiency is achieved, enrollment in regular university courses begins.

Medical History Record. All students are required to submit a completed Pre-Registration Immunization Form to the Curry Health Center two weeks prior to registration. It is required that the immunization record (for measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and polio) be complete, accurate, and validated by a physician. Skin testing for tuberculosis will be required upon arrival through the Curry Health Center.

Visa Transfer Form. F 1 students transferring from another college or university in the U.S. must have this form completed by the foreign student advisor of the transfer school and returned to the UM Enrollment Services-Admissions Office A new I-20 will be issued by UM once a transfer release date is entered in SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) by the current school.

When to Apply

Applications and all required documents must be received by the following dates:

●   Autumn Semester Deadline – July 15

●   Spring Semester Deadline – December 15

 Applications received after the deadline will be considered for admission for the next term.