2013-2014 Course Catalog

The University Of Montana

Student Services

Housing and Dining Services

Residence Halls Community

The University of Montana-Missoula residence halls' community is a part of the University and Missoula communities. The campus is a center for educational, cultural, and social activities. Residing in residence halls places the student at the center of these activities. Our mission is to provide safe, clean, healthy and affordable living and learning facilities that fosters an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty, and guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture educational experiences and personal development at The University of Montana. The University houses nearly 2300 students in nine residence halls on campus. The residence halls staff are resource people. Sharing ideas, observations or questions with them will benefit residents. Resident Assistants offer help and resources when students experience problems with University life.  The residence hall room rate includes a furnished room with all utilities, use of laundry facilities, internet access and cable TV.

The University of Montana-Missoula requires all freshmen and students who have earned fewer than 30 semester credits to reside in the University's residence halls. Students are required to continue residence hall living until the student earns 30 semester credits. Any student who moves into the residence halls at the beginning of the semester is required to reside in the residence hall for the entire semester. (However, students must be enrolled for at least seven credits to be eligible to live in a residence hall.) Exceptions to residence hall living are made for students who reside with their parents and for students who are married or are single parents. Other exceptions are made under special circumstances on an individual basis. Any student requesting an exception to the residency requirements must submit a request in writing, accompanied by supporting documentation, to the Director of Residence Life. Students are not released from the residency requirements until the student receives an official notification from the Director of Residence Life. Students who have earned 30 semester credits or more are not subject to the residency requirements but are encouraged to live on campus. All students living in the residence halls are required to contract for one of the on-campus meal plans.

Rooms in residence halls are provided in order of application. Freshman students required to live in Residence Halls who submit their residence hall application and $220.00, which is a $25 non-refundable processing fee and a $200 prepayment, by the priority Admission deadline of March 1, will be guaranteed permanent housing assignments. Application forms and information may be obtained on the Residence Life Office website at www.umt.edu/reslife.

A number of rooms have been designed to accommodate students with disabilities. Application for these rooms is made to the Residence Life Office. The Director of Residence Life or the Office of Disability Services for Students, (406) 243-2243, should be contacted to ensure the necessary accommodations are provided or visit our website at www.umt.edu/reslife.

Lewis and Clark Village

(Upperclass and Graduate Housing)

Lewis and Clark is a No-Smoking apartment facility designated for single students at the University of Montana without dependents who will have accumulated at least 60 credit hours by the time they move into the apartments. The apartments are located off campus just south of Dornblaser Stadium on South Higgins Avenue. They are within easy walking or biking distance from the University and are adjacent to Park n' Ride which provides free and easy transportation to the UM campus. The apartments are furnished with all utilities paid including cable TV and internet access.

Prospective tenants may submit applications together with a requested roommate(s). If a tenant does not have a roommate preference, the Residence Life Office will assign roommates based on like gender. As space allows we will attempt to take into consideration other preference such as age, smoking, alcohol consumption, and length of agreement.

How To Apply for Lewis and Clark Village

Applications are available on the website at www.umt.edu/reslife, by calling in a request to the Residence Life Office at 406-243-2611, or sending an email message to housing@mso.umt.edu. Your application must be accompanied by $320.00, ($25 which is a non-refundable processing fee and a damage deposit of $300.00).

A complete set of policies, photos and site map are available on the website atwww.umt.edu/reslife.

Dining Services

Winner of 22 international dining awards and home to nationally renowned chefs, University Dining Services (UDS) is dedicated to bringing you a variety of delicious, well-balanced meals at reasonable prices. Our extensive selection of dining options include: the Food Zoo, the Cascade Country Store, La Peak, Biz Buzz, Think Tank, Recess, Doc's Sandwiches, Garden City Greens, Soups N Such, Pizza Hut, Wing Street, Famous Dave’s BBQ, Ui-Cha! (Vietnamese), Byte Me Burgers, Eson Gib Sushi, Casa Nina and two Jus Chilln' restaurants. All University Dining Services and Jus Chilln' locations accept cash, checks, Visa/Mastercard, UMoney and appropriate meal plans.

The Food Zoo, located in the Lommasson Center, is our buffet style restaurant which features an ever-changing choice of entrees, homemade soups, an extensive salad bar, daily pastas and gourmet pizzas, fresh fruits, Bear Claw Bakery desserts, cooked-to-order specials, and vegetarian and vegan options.

The Cascade Country Store, located at the west end of the Lommasson Center, boasts a bright, food-court style atmosphere with pizzas, Mexican specialties, grilled favorites and a fresh deli. Soups, salads, Bear Claw Bakery pastries, a wide variety of grocery items, organic products, and health and beauty aids are just some of the options available. The expansive outside deck is a popular stop for many students.

La Peak, located in the Cascade Country Store , features Craven's gourmet coffee and espresso drinks, fresh crepes, breakfast sandwiches and Bear Claw Bakery goodies. The lodge-like atmosphere makes La Peak a great place to socialize with friends.

The University Center Food Court, located on the second floor of the University Center, features a contemporary, open atmosphere, and exceptional cuisine. Food choices include Pizza Hut, Garden City Greens, Soups N Such, Ui-Cha! (Vietnamese), Wing Street, Famous Dave’s BBQ, Doc's Sandwiches, Eson Gib Sushi and the award winning Casa Nina.

Biz Buzz, located on the lower level of the Gallagher Business Building can help you jump start your day with a fresh cup of Craven's coffee, espresso, or Chai tea.  They also serve delicious hot paninis, fresh baked pastries from Bear Claw Bakery, bagels, sandwiches, soups and salads.

The Think Tank, located above the Urey Lecture Hall, offers Liquid Planet gourmet coffee, espresso, Chai tea, Italian soda, ice-cold beverages, and grab and go items like sandwiches, soups, salads, and snacks. Whether you need that morning boost or a lunch on the go, the Think Tank has you covered.

Recess is our newest coffee shop. Located in the Phyllis J. Washington Education Building, Recess offers Liquid Planet gourmet coffee and espresso, Chai teas, bagels, Bear Claw Bakery pastries, sandwiches and Italian sodas. For a satisfying break between classes, stop by Recess.

There are two Jus Chilln' locations on the main campus.  One is located on the first floor of the University Center. The other can be found at the Fitness & Recreation. Both restaurants feature Liquid Planet gourmet coffees, smoothies, baked goods and grab and go items. Enjoy delicious soups and sandwiches at the UC location.

Meal Plans

To ensure you have healthy and nutritious food options, The University of Montana requires students living in a residence hall to purchase a meal plan. A meal plan is a pre-paid purchase of meals for the entire semester. UM Dining Services offers two meal plans designed for students living on campus: the ALL CAMPUS and the LOMMASSON PLUS. Each plan provides a Weekly Meal Plan Fund designed to ensure that meals can be purchased for the entire semester. Food purchases are deducted from your Weekly Meal Plan Fund and may be used as quickly or as modestly as you choose. Weekly Meal Plan Funds reset every Sunday morning; unused Weekly Meal Plan Funds are NOT carried forward from one week to the next. For full details, visit www.life.umt.edu/dining and click on "Meal Plans" or call 406-243-6325. The ALL CAMPUS Meal Plan provides campus-wide dining flexibility and is accepted at all Dining Services locations. The LOMMASSON PLUS Meal Plan is accepted at the Lommasson Center restaurants (The Food Zoo, Cascade Country Store),La Peak, and Jus' Chill'n located in the Campus Fitness and Recreation Center.

A student may convert their meal plan from ALL CAMPUS to the LOMMASSON PLUS Meal Plan only once during the first two weeks of the semester.  Upgrades, from the LOMMASSON PLUS Meal Plan to the ALL CAMPUS Meal Plan, are accepted throughout the semester.

The COMMUTER MEAL PLAN is designed for students living off the main campus who want the convenience of pre-purchased campus dining.  Open your COMMUTER MEAL PLAN account with as little as $20.00.  For deposits of $50.00 or more UDS will add a 10% premium to your account.  COMMUTER MEAL PLAN funds may be used at any of UDS' 14 restaurants, both Jus Chill'n locations on the main campus and the College of Technology snack bars.  Make additional deposits anytime ($20 minimum). Payment methods include cash, check, credit card UMoney and Cyberbear/student account (some restrictions apply, call 406-243-6325 for details).

For more information on meal plans and other special dining services, please contact the University Dining Services main office at (406)243-6325 or visit our web site at www.life.umt.edu/dining.

University Village

The University has 566 apartments for married students, single students with dependents, and students with disabilities who have a live-in care attendant. All apartments are within walking distance of the campus. Units range from studio to four-bedroom apartments.

Eligibility for University Village requires at least one adult member of the household be enrolled for a minimum of seven (7) credits two of the three semesters per year. The student must be registered for at least seven (7) credits the first semester of occupancy. Priority is given to students who are married or otherwise have a legal dependent relationship with another adult; single parents with at least one (1) legal dependent living in the apartment; and single students with disabilities who require a live-in care attendant. Single students may be assigned apartments if other priority applicants do not occupy all available units.

Students residing in University Village must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward an educational degree by earning a minimum sixteen (16) credits per calendar year. After the initial year of residency, satisfactory progress is based upon credits earned during the preceding calendar year. In addition, a student or family with one or more members working toward an educational degree will have priority occupancy for a maximum of six (6) calendar years. Any exception from the above residency policies requires a written request for exception submitted to the University Village Office. The request is not approved until written consent is received from the University Village Office.

Housing is assigned according to the date of application and notification is given approximately twenty (20) days before housing becomes available. All applications must be updated every six (6) months in order for applicants to remain on the assignment list. A $250.00 deposit must be submitted when an apartment is assigned. The deposit is refundable when the rental agreement is terminated provided the apartment rental fees are current and no damage or cleaning fees are assessed. The deposit is forfeited if the student cancels after accepting the assigned apartment.

Due to the demand for University Village housing, the University Village Housing Office should be contacted early to make reservations and obtain detailed information including an application or visit our website at www.umt.edu/reslife. Applications must be accompanied by a $25.00 processing fee.

Personal Property

The University of Montana-Missoula is not responsible, by state law, for damage to, or theft of, the personal property of students on campus (for example: damage to clothing or a stereo due to fire, smoke or water). Students are encouraged to adequately insure their personal property and to protect their property by locking their room/apartment and car and taking other simple precautions to prevent theft and damage.

Career Services

The Office of Career Services assists students in developing viable career objectives, choosing academic majors and creating the plans necessary to achieve those goals. Assistance is also provided to students and UM alumni who wish to modify their career and academic goals to improve their employment options. Career Services provides a wide array of services designed to facilitate the transition from education to employment, including: career counseling and assessments; workshops on such topics as resume writing, interviewing and job search strategies; videotaped mock interviews; on-campus interviews with employers; credential files services for teachers; alumni referral network program, an on-line job vacancy service, and student employment.

Career Services maintains an extensive on-line library of current resources on general and specific career and educational options, resume, interviewing and job search reference materials and employment resources from companies, school districts and government entities.

A variety of career fairs are hosted each year for the purpose of bringing students and employers together to discuss volunteer, internship, part-time and full-time employment opportunities. The Big Sky Career and the Health Professions Fair are held in the Fall semester. The Educators' Career Fair is open to teaching, administrative and school counseling professionals and is held in the spring semester.

All UM students are eligible to establish a free Griz eRecruiting account which allows students to post their resumes on the web for viewing by and referral to employers, participate in the on-campus recruiting program and view and apply for current job and internship vacancies in the online jobs database.

For additional information, contact the Office of Career Services at 154 Lommasson Center, call (406) 243-2022, e-mail: careers@mso.umt.edu or visit our web site at:www.umt.edu/career.

Student Employment

Student Employment provides the opportunity for students and employers to connect for the purpose of giving students the ability to earn money while attending school. Student Employment offers an online job posting system for employers and an online job search and application process for students. This makes it possible to post jobs for on-campus, off-campus, work-study, non work-study, and volunteer employment. Student Employment works closely with Financial Aid and Student Payroll to assure students are being hired and paid within the established guidelines. Student Employment hosts a free Student Job Fair during the first week of classes every fall. We also coordinate National Student Employment Week and the Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY) Award.

For additional information, contact the office of Student Employment at 154 Lommasson Center, call (406) 243-5627, email studentjobs@mso.umt.edu or visit www.umt.edu/studentjobs

Testing Services

The Office of Testing Services is a member of the National College Testing Association and Consortium of College Testing Centers.  Testing Services subscribes to the NCTA professional standards and guidelines providing the administration of educational, professional licensing and certification exams. Examples of our services include:

For additional information, contact Testing Services at Lommasson Center, Suite 154, call (406) 243-2175, email: testingservices@umontana.edu or visit:www.umt.edu/career/testing.

Internship Services

The University of Montana offers internships in most disciplines. Internships can be part- or full-time, paid or unpaid, and generally run the length of an academic semester. Internships are supervised by key faculty members and allow students to work in positions related to their academic and career goals while utilizing knowledge, theory, and skills learned in the classroom. Learning objectives complemented by faculty-assigned reflective learning projects or reports distinguish and showcase internships as essential educational experiences. Internships are available locally, state-wide, and throughout the nation in various settings, including non-profit agencies, small businesses, multi-national corporations, and city, state, and federal government offices. International internships are also available, many through a partnership with IE3 Global Internships. More detailed information is available at Internship Services, Lommasson Center 154; (406) 243-2815; fax (406)243-5866; or visit the website at: www.umt.edu/internships.

Disability Services for Students

Students with disabilities can expect access at the University of Montana-Missoula. Wherever possible, the University exceeds mere compliance with the civil rights laws of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Montana Human Rights Act. The University's programs are readily accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. The campus assures Program access is delivered to the maximum extent feasible and in the most integrated manner possible.

Disability Services for Students, a student affairs office, leads the University's program access efforts for students. Disability Services provides and coordinates reasonable accommodations and advocates for an accessible and hospitable learning environment. We encourage self-determination and self-reliance by students with disabilities. Examples of services include priority registration, physical accessibility arrangements, academic adjustments, auxiliary aids (readers, scribes, sign language interpreters, etc.), alternative testing, conversion of print textbooks to e-text, assistive technology assistance, and other reasonable accommodations. To achieve equal access, Disability Services vigorously pursues the removal of informational, physical, and attitudinal barriers to all University programs. "Expect Access", Disability Services handbook for students, and a campus accessibility map are available at http://www.umt.edu/disability/.

Students with disabilities should plan ahead and get in touch with Disability Services prior to arriving on campus. For additional information, contact Disability Services for Students in Lommasson Center 154 or (406) 243-2243 (Voice/Text) or dss@umontana.edu. Please visit the Disability Services homepage to find details on our services at www.umt.edu/disability/.

The UM Veterans Education Transition Services (VETS) Office

The University of Montana's Veteran’s Office has moved to the new Veterans Education and Transition Services (VETS) location.  The VETS Office is located on the Southeast corner of the Mountain Campus at 1000 E. Beckwith Avenue, where Beckwith Ave. becomes Campus Drive. The office serves all UM veterans, including those attending the Missoula College. VETS Office hours are M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Contact information:

UM VETS Office
1000 E. Beckwith Avenue
406-243-2744 Phone
406-243-5444 Fax

Foreign Student and Scholar Services

The office of Foreign Student and Scholar Services (FSSS) assumes responsibility for the general welfare of foreign students at the University of Montana from admission to gradation and practical training. It provides direct support services, consultation, and liaison. The office assists in the reception and orientation of foreign students and helps with their integration into the University and community. It interprets immigration regulations and laws and assists students in maintaining legal status and obtaining benefits related to their visa status. Staff members provide advising for academic and personal concerns, cultural adjustment, financial problems, and other concerns that arise.

The staff works with the International Student Association and other student groups, as well as the Missoula International Friendship Program to sponsor cultural activities, a speaker's bureau, a community hospitality program for students, leadership opportunities for students, and the annual International Culture and Food Festival. FSSS coordinates the UM Global Partner Program, a campus peer-mentioning program. It offers educational fields trips; winter and summer break activities, as well as initial and on-going orientation and educational programs on relevant topics. FSSS manages the campus' International House, an activity center for inter-cultural events. 
Foreign Student and Scholar Services works closely with other service and advising offices on campus to optimize those services and their visibility to foreign students.

Foreign Student and Scholar Services prepares certificates or petitions for the Exchange visitor J-1 visa and advises foreign scholars who need to change or extend their visa status, travel temporarily out of the United States or bring dependents to this country. Finally, the office serves as liaison to federal agencies dealing with foreign student and scholar concerns, such as the US Citizenship and Immigration Service, Department of Labor, Department of State, Internal Revenue Service and Social Security Administration. For more information visit our website at: www.umt.edu/fsss/ or contact us at fsss@umontana.edu.

International Programs

The University of Montana's International Programs (IP) promotes international education, research, training and projects at UM through exchanges, grants and self-support.  In addition to negotiating university-wide agreements with institutions abroad, IP administers the Partner University Exchange Program with over 58 partner institutions in 26 countries and the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) with 154 international member institutions in 54countries.  IP also serves as the referral center for UM Faculty Directed Study Abroad programs.  For additional information, visit International Programs in the International Center, call             (406) 243-2288      , email goabroad@mso.umt.eduor visit their website at www.umt.edu/ip.

Throughout the year IP develops, hosts and conducts training programs, conferences and workshops in a variety of areas for international scholars from various countries.  The professional training's include but are not limited to seminars in Educational Policy, Instruction, Educational Leadership, Science Teacher Training, Instructional Technology, American Studies and English as a Second Language.  The office also provides support for departments and student groups in the coordination of international events and conferences on campus.

English Language Institute

UM offers an intensive English program  through the English Language Institute.  Students are enrolled in 20 hours of class each  week.  ELI's curriculum addresses the needs of international students whose scores are below  UM  language requirement scores of 500 ITP/ 61iBT. . ELI courses also address the needs of students who want to raise their English language proficiency in order to gain admission to a university or college where English is the language of instruction.  Through this program, ELI students can begin their university studies at UM in several ways.  They can successfully participate in the ELI/ UM Bridge Program, show their academic readiness through ELI coursework or meet the TOEFL requirements.  To find out more about the English Language Institute visit www.umt.edu/eli.

Curry Health Center


Curry Health Center (CHC) provides affordable, accessible, high quality, student-centered health services to University of Montana students to enhance student learning, promote personal health and development and teach important life skills.

Curry Health Center is YOUR campus based health care center, with services designed to meet the needs of college students and the campus community.

General Information

The full Curry Health Fee is paid at registration by students who enroll for sever credits or more (excluding distance only students).  Students taking less than seven credits per semester may elect to pay the full Curry Health Fee at any time during the semester.  The Curry Health Fee is the main source of funding for Curry Health Center, allowing us to provide a wide range of primary health care and health promotion services at discounted rates well below what students would generally find in the Missoula community.

Services in the, Health Enhancement and the Student Assault Resource Center are available to all students. Services in the Medical Clinic, Counseling Center and the Dental Clinic are available only to students who pay the full Curry Health Fee.

We recognize the busy nature of student schedules and seek to provide accessibility for both urgent needs and more routine care via appointments or walk-ins. We are happy to coordinate care with providers "back home" or assist with referral to community resources for problems beyond the scope of CHC.

Medical Services - 406-243-4330

Curry Health Center provides both primary health care services as well as urgent care services to the University of Montana student population.

Our primary care services include:

Sinus infection
Care for minor injuries such as:

If you have questions, or wish to schedule an appointment, contact us at 243-4330.

Counseling and Psychological Services - 243-4711

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides rapid access and brief therapy for UM students. CAPS also serves the urgent care needs of students in crisis and facilitates off-campus referral when necessary. All services are confidential. Counseling covers the broad range of personal, academic, relational and social concerns of students. Counseling may help a student solve a personal problem, cope with the transition to university life, enhance family relationships, or improve academic performance. Most services are covered by the Curry Health Fee payment. There are additional charges for some services including psychological evaluations for prolonged counseling and psychotherapy.

Self Over Substance (S.O.S.) - 243-2290

S.O.S. educates and motivates students to address high-risk behaviors associated with heavy alcohol or other drug use. Services include individual and group counseling, education/intervention programs, and assessment/referral to treatment resources. Some services have modest fees.

Dental - 243-5445

Dental care is provided to students who have paid the Curry Health Fee. The Dental Clinic's primary focus is on urgent and preventative care. While urgent care is given priority, routine dental care is also provided as time allows. Charges for dental services are set at a substantially lower rate than the private sector.

Services Provided

  1. Emergency dental care.
  2. Fillings, root canals, simple extractions, crown and bridge procedures (as time permits).
  3. Teeth cleaning, periodontal scaling, and oral hygiene instructions.
  4. Routine exams and X-rays (‘checkups') on a limited basis-one per year.
  5. Night guards for TMJ disorders and protection from grinding.

Referrals to specialists or other dentists are provided for students whose dental needs are beyond the scope/capabilities of the clinic, e.g., oral surgery, complex root canals, orthodontics, dentures, etc. Charges incurred at private offices are the student's responsibility.

The Student Insurance plan does not cover dental charges, except for extractions.

Health Enhancement - 243-2809

The Health Enhancement Department of Curry Health Center provides health education and wellness services to students to help them stay safe and healthy, now and in the future. Health Enhancement is also the home of the nationally recognized peer education program Peers Reaching Out (PROs). PROs provide programming on health issues that affect students like healthy sexuality, safer sex, contraception, alcohol poisoning, safe partying, nutrition, and stress management. The CARE program, which provides free condoms through representatives that live in the residence halls and Greek houses, is also part of Health Enhancement. Call us if you would like to be a PRO or a CARE Representative.

Services include: free quit smoking and quit spit tobacco kits, free condoms and safer sex supplies, nutrition information, stress management assistance, and wellness counseling.

Student Assault Recovery Services - 24-Hour Crisis - 243-6559 Office - 243-5244

Student Assault Resource Center (SARC) offers confidential support and advocacy services to victims of rape, sexual assault, child sexual abuse, relationship violence, sexual harassment, and stalking. Services are also available for friends, partners, and relatives of victims. SARC offers a 24-hour crisis line, 243-6559 and a walk-in Resource Center when the University is in session. Trained student Advocates are available 24 hours a day to provide information and advocacy. Other services offered by SARC include support groups, workshops, and training as well as an extensive resource library. There is no charge for SARC services. Professional counseling is available by referral to campus or community resources. SARC is located in the Curry Health Center, room 108. Enter through the east entrance (corner of Maurice St. and Eddy Ave). SARC walk-in hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, when the University is in session.

Health Services Pharmacy - 243-5171

The Health Services Pharmacy, located in the Curry Health Center building, offers students a complete prescription service and accepts many 3rd party insurance plans at very reasonable rates. The pharmacy is operated by the School of Pharmacy in cooperation with Curry Health Center and is used for training pharmacy students under the supervision of registered pharmacists.

Insurance Billing- 243-2844

Because of your privacy rights and concerns, Curry Health Center will not automatically bill your insurance plan for services received at CHC. If you would like to file an insurance claim for services received at Curry Health Center, you must request this through the  clinic that you received services from at CHC. CHC will provide a “walkout statement” to you that you can send to your insurance.  Because your insurance company reimburses you directly, you are responsible for paying charges incurred at CHC, not your insurance company.

CHC is not a Medicare/Medicaid provider, nor do we accept direct payments from insurance companies.

Clinical Psychology Center

The Clinical Psychology Center (CPC) is a training clinic for doctoral students in Clinical Psychology and School Psychology, operated by the Department of Psychology. The CPC offers a wide range of psychological services to the Missoula community (both students and non-students), including: individual, couples, child/family, and group psychotherapy.  The CPC also offers psychological testing and evaluation, including comprehensive learning disability evaluations. Services are confidential, and all clients are charged on a sliding fee schedule based on household income and number of dependents. The CPC is located at 1444 Mansfield Avenue, on the southeast corner of campus. To make a request for services, call: (406) 243-2367.

Physical Therapy Clinic

The UM Sports and Orthopedic Physical Therapy Clinic is open to all UM students, faculty and staff for the evaluation and treatment of problems related to injuries, surgeries and pain that limit or affect activities. The Physical Therapy Clinic Office is located in room 129 of the Skaggs Building, across from the Urey Underground Lecture Hall. The clinic is staffed by licensed physical therapists who are board certified in sports medicine, orthopedics and manual therapy. The clinic is a valuable component of the professional physical therapy program.

The clinic is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 - 5:00 pm. The clinic is not supported through the Student Health Service Fee. Blue Cross and other insurance typically cover physical therapy services minus any deductible or co-payment responsibilities. To make an appointment or for questions please call 243-4006 or visit online athttp://physicaltherapy.health.umt.edu/content/um-sports-orthopedic-clinic.

University Center

The University Center enriches campus life by providing student-focused opportunities, programs, services, and space.

Visit us online at www.umt.edu/uc.

Sports and Recreation

Organized sports and recreational activities are an important part of academic and leisure life at the University.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Montana-Missoula is a Division I member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the Big Sky Conference. The athletic program consists of 14 varsity teams. The men's program includes competition in basketball, cross country, football (Football Championship Subdivision), indoor and outdoor track, and tennis. The women's program offers competition in basketball, cross country, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, volleyball, golf, and soccer. The teams go by the nicknames Griz and Lady Griz. Athletic scholarships are offered in all sports.

Campus Recreation

The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide variety of services to the students, faculty and staff of The University of Montana. A comprehensive intramural sports program provides opportunities for men's, women's and co-recreational team competition and individual events.  An outstanding Fitness Program offers yoga, pilates, strength training and other sports specific conditioning.

Recreational facilities include gymnasiums, weight rooms, and indoor running track, handball and racquetball courts, multipurpose fitness studios, tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, indoor climbing wall, and a golf course. Sports equipment such as balls, bats, gloves, etc. can be checked out for free and other equipment such as volleyball, nets, badminton sets, and horseshoes require a cash deposit.

The Outdoor Program offers services to students, faculty, staff and the general public, supplying information, training, and education about outdoor pursuits and sports. Classes are offered on a non-credit basis for activity credits through the Health and Human Performance Department. The Outdoor Program also organizes outdoor trips and hosts high adventure and educational films and lectures.

University Golf Course

The University of Montana-Missoula has a picturesque nine/eighteen hole golf course open to students, faculty, and staff, as well as the general public. It is located approximately one-half mile south of the main campus.

The course has a clubhouse restaurant, driving range, putting and chipping green. The pro shop is well-stocked and club and cart rentals are available. Private lessons are offered by appointment with an assortment of rate structures.

Grizzly Pool

The University of Montana Grizzly Pool is a 7-lane, 25-yard indoor pool. Present programs include: fitness swims, recreational swims, classes for all ages (infant to adult), life guarding and WSI classes, pool rentals, Swim Shop, and competitive skills lessons.