Business Resources & Tools
UM Conference & Event Services is here to help you with every aspect sharing your vision and the planning and implementation of your event. However, we feel strongly that empowering organizations to better communicate with their audience starts with the right management tools. Our team has put together several FREE ideas to freshen-up your approach and to keep you up to date.
How do you get the word out there? It all starts with your online presence. By publishing the right content in the right place at the right time, your marketing becomes relevant and helpful, not interruptive. Below are several FREE resources that we pulled together to help optimize the way your audience sees you. Click on the links below for more topic information.
- Build a Website: There are many FREE content management systems for creating websites. If you aren't sure where to start, consider trying one of these:
- Reach Out by Email: It's free! There are numerous downloadable templates and newsletters available to keep clients up to date.
- Update Your Images: Use free stock photo sites to update those tired images.
- Touch-Up Your Images: Now that you have new images, use these tools to resize and retouch your images for free.
What is it and what is it good for? Social media helps facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression to broader communities and networks that you wouldn't normally have access to.
- Facebook for Business: A FREE and easy way to keep your audience in the loop of your business happenings and events. For information on how to use Facebook Ads, visit:
- LinkedIn Company Pages: A FREE "made for business" online network. Want to know why and how to create a LinkedIn Company Page? Download this Free eBook from Hubspot.
Planning is something our Conference Management team does best! But how do we get started?
- Stay Current on Hot Topics & World Events: There's a lot going on in the world and The Daily Skimm makes it easier to stay on top of the news and info you need to start your day by delivering it directly to your inbox each morning. If you don't have time to read the news every day, Skimm Notes will talk you through relevant, timely topics once a week. In less than 10 minutes, they'll give you the context you need to understand the biggest issues in the world.
- Create a Budget & Timeline: Budgeting is the number one way to insure your event is what you want and creating a timeline gets it done!
- Conveying Your Message: It all starts with making sure the right people are involved. Who is on your committee and why? Are they in charge of outreach to speakers, attendees and/or facilities? Which registration method do you use? Plan on providing continuing education? Need a measurable outcome for a grant or designated funds? Is there room for sponsors or exhibitors in the program? So many important questions to address early on in the planning process. We know it's a lot to keep track and that's why we offer several services to assist in this area, please check out our Conference Management Services and Packages to learn more.
Implementing what you know and making it GREAT!
- Use a New & Exciting Presentations: Don't use the same tired PowerPoint as last year! Download a new design by selecting one of the PowerPoint templates below.
- Try Prezi: A free and easy to use way to make your presentation more dynamic and engaging.
- Create a FREE Online Ebook: Want to add "real content" to the discussion? Use these uploadable templates & instructions.
- Show Data in a Way They Can Understand: These free Excel templates from HubSpot have instructions on how to create a simple graph or pivot table:
Put it in the Cloud! Be able to access or backup your important data from ANY computer! There are many ways to put your data safely online for FREE. Especially if your file is too large for a USB drive! We use the Microsoft and Google solutions below, not only to store information but to be able to edit and share documents as well.
- Google Drive & Google Docs: Works with any Gmail account.
- Microsoft One Drive: Integrates and syncs your cloud files with your computer.
Incorporating Health & Wellness
Use a "think outside the box" approach to implementing your plan. A retreat, team meeting or other offsite organizational event can be the perfect setting in which to incorporate such activities, and begin introducing employees to the overall human resources program. And, they are also a great way to break the ice among team members who work in silos; encourage relationship-building; ease the stress of a convention environment or sitting in presentations all day; and work to increase alertness, concentration and retention of the business at hand... Read More
Healthy Meeting Ideas: Here are some examples that have been successfully incorporated into events:
- On-site fitness classes
- Meditation lounges
- Sports event reimbursement
- Health fairs
- Lunch and Learn presentations
- Provide local fitness and wellness resources and ideas
- Invite employees to share their success stories
- Create a Wellness "Wall of Fame"
- Set up team challenges
Rural Participant Engagement
Participants too far away? Are they unable to attend the meeting/conference due to weather? Put it online! UM Conference & Events Services has several webinar and livestreaming options to help keep staff up-to-date. We also have live captioning services available for online accessibility.