CSA Responsibilities

  • You are required to report relevant crimes of which you are aware to UMPD in a timely manner. Reports should be "in good faith," meaning you may not be sure if the crime occurred but you have reasonable grounds for believing it is possible and not simply a rumor or hearsay. If you witness a crime or someone else reports a crime to you, you must report the incident to campus police.

  • Ensure timely notification of crimes to allow the University the opportunity to decide whether or not a Campus Alert or Crime Notification should be issued. Timely reports also assist in maintaining accurate crime data.

  • When in doubt, report.

The Clery Act requires colleges and universities to keep and report statistics of the following crimes:

  • Arson
  • Motor Vehicle Theft
  • Robbery
  • Burglary
  • Stalking
  • Domestic Violence
  • Dating Violence
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Sex Offenses (rape, fondling, incest, statutory rape)
  • Negligent Manslaughter
  • Murder/Non-negligent Manslaughter
For more information see Clery Crime Definitions.

On-Campus (Including Student Residential)

On-campus is defined as “any building or property owned or controlled by an institution of higher education within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institution’s educational purposes, including student halls; and property within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution that is owned by the institution but controlled by another person, is used by students, and supports institutional purposes (such as a food or other retail vendor).”

Student Residential is defined as “any student housing facility that is owned or controlled by the institution, or is located on property that is owned or controlled by the institution, and is within the reasonably contiguous geographic area that makes up campus.” 


Non-campus building or property is defined as “any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization recognized by the institution; and any building or property (other than a branch campus) owned or controlled by an institution of higher education that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes, is used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.”

  • Fraternity and Sorority owned Chapter houses fall into this category as do off campus College locations and Ag research centers.

Public Property

Public property is defined as “all public property that is within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution, such as a sidewalk, a street, other thoroughfare, or parking facility, and is adjacent to a facility owned or controlled by the institution if the facility is used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to the institution’s educational purposes."

Separate Campus

Separate campus is defined as "a separate location that the institution owns or controls, is not reasonable geographically contiguous with the main campus, has an organized program of study, and there is at least one person on site acting in an administrative capacity."

  • Montana State's Nursing programs in Missoula, Billings, Great Falls and Kalispell fall into this category.

Off Campus Trips

Student Travel Form

"If your institution sponsors students on an overnight trip every year and the students stay in the same hotel each year, you must include portions of the hotel in your noncampus geography. For example, students in the debate club take a trip to Washington, D.C. and stay at the same hotel every year. You must include in your statistics any crimes that occur in the rooms used by your students and any common areas used to access the rooms (lobby, elevators, etc.) for the times and dates specified in the rental agreement. Note that what matters here is repeated use of a location that is owned or controlled by the institution, not the number of days it is used or whether it is used by the same students or different students. 

Short-stay “away” trips

If your institution sponsors short-stay “away” trips of more than one night for its students, all locations used by students during the trip, controlled by the institution during the trip and used to support educational purposes should be treated as noncampus property. An example is a three-week marine biology study trip to Florida. Any classroom or housing space specified in the agreement between the institution and a third-party providing the space would be noncampus property. If your institution has entered into a written agreement with a third-party contractor to arrange housing and/or classroom space for a school-sponsored trip or study program (either domestic or foreign), it is assumed that the contractor is operating on behalf of the school as the school’s agent, putting the institution in control of this space. However, if your institution (or a contracted third party) does not have an agreement for the space used, your institution is not in control of the space and you are not required to count it. For example, there are some situations, such as sports tournaments, for which the host institution makes all of the housing arrangements for visiting students. In these situations, the visiting institutions do not have a written agreement for the use of space and are not required to disclose crime statistics for the housing in which their students are located. However, the host institution would be responsible for disclosing crime statistics for the housing since they hold the agreement for the housing. 

Study abroad programs

If your institution sends students to study abroad at a location or facility that you don’t own or control, you don’t have to include statistics for crimes that occur in those facilities. However, if your institution rents or leases space for your students in a hotel or student housing facility, you are in control of that space for the time period covered by your agreement. Host family situations do not normally qualify as noncampus locations unless your written agreement with the family gives your school some significant control over space in the family home."


Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)

Why CSAs?

The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the role of CSA is to acknowledge that some community members, particularly students, may be hesitant about reporting crimes to the police; however, they may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

  • Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities

  • A campus police or security department

  • Individuals who have responsibility for campus security

  • Individuals or offices designated to receive crime reports

Examples of CSAs:

  • Resident Assistants

  • Residence Life Staff

  • Greek Life Advisors

  • Coaches & Athletic Directors

  • Dean of Students

  • Faculty Advisors to Student Groups

  • Faculty who do not have responsibilities outside of the classroom

  • Campus physicians or nurses whose only responsibility is to provide care to students

  • Pastoral or professional counselors acting in those specific roles

Crime Statistics

  • Annual Security Report
  • Public Crime Log

Support & Resources

  • Reporting Options
  • On- & Off-Campus Resources & Services
  • Counseling & Wellness

Ongoing Communications

  • Timely Warnings
  • Emergency Notification