Events calendar policy and procedures
University Relations manages The University of Montana events calendar as part of its mission to distribute accurate and timely information through outreach and marketing activities. In this effort, University Relations seeks to make the calendar a useful tool for the campus and off-campus communities, focused on happenings at and/or sponsored by the University. In addition, the calendar serves as an online tool to disseminate information about University-related events to the local media for publicity purposes and also to list the dates and times of UM meetings open to the public pursuant to Montana law.
The UM events calendar provides information about UM-related events only. University Relations editors and Vice President for Integrated Communications will make all judgments to include or not to include submitted requests for calendar entries on the basis of the following criteria:
- Sponsored by UM or an entity or partner organization of the University or by an ASUM-approved student organization.
- Held on campus or at a UM entity or partner organization. (Examples: MonTEC, Fact & Fiction, or the Institute of Medicine and Humanities)
- Presented by a UM faculty member, administrator, or University representative or ASUM-approved student organization, if held off campus in a location not affiliated with the University.
The calendar will not include any events that fail to conform with the University's alcohol policy and drug policy, or which involve expressions of partisan points of view, except with regard to titles and descriptions of educational events designed to facilitate open dialogue.
There are two ways to submit events to the UM events calendar:
- Go to events.umt.edu, click on the “Post your event” link and complete the form.
- Multiple events can be submitted using an Excel spreadsheet template provided by University Relations. Email email@example.com to request the template.
Submissions will be reviewed by an editor in University Relations to ensure they are accurate, complete and consistent with University style guidelines. Submit events at least five business days in advance of your event to allow time for editing and fact checking.
All events submitted for inclusion on the UM events calendar should include the following information:
- Event title
- Date and start time
- End time if appropriate
- Venue name (Provide address for events held off campus. You can include a map as well)
- Description of the event
- Organizer or contact name, email and phone number
- Cost (provide a web address for tickets or registration if possible)
- If the event is free and open to the public, include that in the description
- Web address for additional information
- A photo related to your event that is at least 200 by 200 pixels and 72dpi
If you have questions about these guidelines, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feeds for departmental calendars
Departments will no longer have separate calendars and events should be submitted to the main UM calendar.
Official UM units are encouraged to post events on the UM events calendar and then use an events feed plugin to display calendar content on departmental Web pages. Calendar feeds are created using a combination of categories and tags on events.