Memberships & Services


The University of Montana offers Campus Recreation memberships to the University of Montana community. All Campus Recreation members must have a valid Griz Card to access the facilities and participate in Campus Recreation programs.  Each price listed below is per person. We do not offer family or group rates.  Montana State Law prohibits the University of Montana from selling community residents, outside of the defined University Community, public memberships to the UM Fitness and Recreation Center.

The University community includes the following groups:

Group Price
UM Students *


UM Employees, UM Affiliates, Spouse/Partner, and Dependents


UM Alumni


UM Retiree and Spouse of UM Retiree



Guest passes for day or week access to the Fitness & Recreation Center are also available with a valid sponsor.

Membership Benefits

Campus Recreation membership includes access to and use of:

  • Fitness and Recreation Center
  • Grizzly Pool
  • Intramural Sports
  • Outdoor Programs (trips, classes, and equipment rental)
  • Fitness classes, personal training and programs offered in the Fitness and Recreation Center
  • Climbing Wall
  • Jus Chill'n smoothie bar
  • ChargeTech rapid charging station

How to Join Campus Recreation

* Students:

Full-time UM students registered for 7 credits or more on the main campus automatically have the Campus Recreation fee included in their tuition bills.

Part-time (registered for 6 credits or less), Missoula College and MSU Nursing students have the option to elect the Campus Recreation fee. The fee can be added to your Cyberbear account by visiting Griz Central (2nd floor of Lommasson building) and asking to have the "Campus Recreation Fee" added, or you can elect to add it on Cyberbear under the "Buy Additional Services" tab.

All other Members:

There are two ways to join as a Campus Recreation Member:

Membership by Term

Members of the University community are eligible to join Campus Recreation for a minimum of one month. A term begins the day you sign up for membership. For example, if you join Campus Recreation for three months on September 12, your term will end on December 12. Visit the front desk of the Fitness & Recreation Center to sign up or call (406) 243-2802 for more information.

NEW: UM employees who have a NetIDs can now manage their Campus Recreation memberships using the Online Portal. Click on the "Online Portal" tab on the top of the site, click on the "Memberships" tab, sign in using your current NetID and password and continue the process by selecting a membership and payment option that works for you.   

Payroll Deduction

Payroll deduction is available to permanent UM employees who are paid by the University. UM employee may also pay for spouse and dependent memberships through the payroll deduction. The first month's payment is due at the time of registration. Payroll deduction will begin in the second month of membership and continue until you cancel. To cancel payroll deduction, visit the front desk of the Fitness & Recreation Center to complete the appropriate form.

Membership Categories

UM Employee

Includes faculty, staff and administrators of The University of Montana (must be paid by the University).  UM Employee category does not include UM Student Employees.  UM Students must pay the Campus Recreation Student Fee to become a member.

UM Affiliates

UM affiliate users or Griz visitors who have been approved by the appropriate office are eligible to join Campus Recreation.  Affiliate status must be approved and a Griz Card obtained before signing up for a Campus Recreation membership. 

UM Alumni

Alumni must be a former University of Montana students who have completed at least 12 credit hours and paid the Alumni Association dues (paid annually or life membership).  Spouses and dependents of alumni are not eligible for membership. Visit the Alumni Association's website for additional details or call them at (406) 243-5211.

UM Retiree

Must be a retired faculty, staff or administrator of the University of Montana.


Dependents are spouses and children of UM employees, students and campus or faculty affiliates.

Spouse Membership

In determining eligibility for a Campus Recreation membership, a spouse shall be defined as a person currently and legally married to a UM sponsor.  They may also be a domestic partner, regardless of sex, who resides with the UM sponsor and shares expenses and responsibilities in a relationship of at least six months.  The UM sponsor does not need to be a member of Campus Recreation in order for the Spouse to become a member.  

Dependent Membership

Children must be between the ages of 5 and 18. Child dependent memberships cannot be sold to anyone under the age of 5 or over the age of 18 under any circumstances.  For dependents ages 5 to 14, the parent or guardian must be a member, and the child must be under constant parental supervision.  Children under the age of 15 are not allowed in the weight-room area or on the cardio equipment.  Ages 15 to 18, parent or guardian does not need to be a member in order to purchase a Campus Recreation membership.

Membership Refund Policy

Elected memberships will not be refunded except in unusual, unforeseen circumstances. Each requested refund will be judged on a case-by-case basis. To request a refund, visit the front desk of the Fitness & Recreation Center to complete the appropriate paperwork. In accordance with University policy, the mandatory student fee cannot be refunded.

Griz Card Access Policy

A valid Griz Card is required for access to Campus Recreation facilities. Cards are non-transferable. Forgot your Griz Card? We offer a limited look-up service for access, provided the following information and policies are met:

  • Provide your University identification number (790 #), and your first and last name to the front desk attendant.
  • Campus Recreation membership information must be current and in good standing.
  • Griz Card status must not be Frozen or Lost/Stolen.
  • Look-up/alternate access service is limited to three (3) times per semester.
  • Delays may be experienced as other business takes precedence over our alternate access service.