Accessible Navigation.

Behavioral Health Options

The Behavioral Health Options Program (formally SOS) works with students to address behaviors that are making it difficult for them to reach their goals or behaviors that are negatively affecting those around them. Our mission is to educate and motivate students to address these high-risk behaviors.

We design group programs targeting risky substance use behavior for students. These programs are led by trained interns or professionals and satisfy the requirements for many court mandated or university mandated sanctions. We also offer formal behavioral assessments.

We are located in Counseling Services department in the west entrance of Curry Health Center.  To schedule an appointment, call 406-243-2290.

Behavioral Health Options – FAQs for Students

What happens if I don’t go to Behavioral Health Options (Formerly SOS) and ignore the sanction?

The University holds students accountable for their actions. Those who don’t take care of their disciplinary sanctions are not allowed to register for classes. A "hold" is placed on their University account and is removed only when they have completed the Behavioral Health Options program. Students are advised to take their Conduct Code sanctions seriously from the beginning and address them in a timely fashion so they won’t ever find themselves in the position of having to ask the following questions:

What if I get written up on campus, then get an MIP a week later downtown?  Can phase 1 take care of both?

No, you will need to complete both phase 1 and phase 2, even if the judge says phase 1 will count for the MIP.  Sorry, Behavioral Health Options (Formerly SOS) policy. You can take care of your MIP class elsewhere if you wish. Just make arrangements with Behavioral Health Options to transfer your paperwork.

Behavioral Health Options – FAQs for Parents

Why might my son or daughter be attending Behavioral Health Options?

Behavioral Health Options or a comparable education/prevention program is mandated by the University when students have an alcohol or other drug student conduct code violation. The judicial system requires a program when a person under the age of 21 is issued a Minor In Possession of alcohol, or MIP.

Why can't I discuss my student's records with the Health Center?

Your student's medical records are confidential, and that includes the Behavioral Health Options program. While we can speak with you about the way our program works, we cannot disclose any information relating to your student in particular.  Be sure to ask your son or daughter to grant permission first, before calling to ask about the case details.