Booking interpreter/captioning services for university events
NOTE: This information is for departments or campus events; not courses or academic programs for which such services are required by University of Montana students with disabilities.
Disability Services accepts sign language interpreting and captioning services requests for university events. Faculty, staff, and campus event organizers can request these services to ensure that their events are accessible for all participants including deaf and hard-of hearing individuals.
Interpreting Rates:$35 per hour, per interpreter. Two interpreters may be required for events with multiple speakers or that exceed one hour. If outside contractors are hired, hourly charges will vary.
Captionist Rates: Charges vary from to $80 to $150 per hour depending on the format of the event. (Captioning provides voice-to-text access.)
- To secure services, the request should be submitted as far in advance as possible; at least three (3) business days in advance of the requested date of service. Last minute requests cannot be guaranteed, through attempts will be made to secure interpreting/captioning services.
- The cost for interpreters and captioning services for university events, which are open to the public, is the responsibility of the hosting unit or entity.
- For off-campus events, travel expenses for the interpreters/captionists will be charged. The University of Montana travel guidelines and procedures are used to calculate these travel expenses.
- To cancel the services, notify Disability Services at least 24 business hours (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) in advance to avoid any charges.
Contact Denise May by e-mail, fax, or phone with the following information:
- required services (e.g. an interpreter or a captionist)
- contact person of the event
- event name
- event date and time
- event location
- event description
- billing address
Denise May, Lead Sign Language Interpreter