Who is eligible for Disability Services?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act define a disability as a physical or mental condition that substantially limits one or more major life activities. These civil rights laws protect students with disabilities from discrimination. The ADA and Section 504 protections also extend to students who have a record of, or are regarded as having such an impairment.
Below is a partial list of disabilities typically identified by students:
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Blind and Visual Impairments
- Chronic Health Impairments
- Communication Impairments
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities
- Mobility Impairments
- Psychiatric Disabilities (Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc.)
- Temporary Disabilities such as broken limbs
- Traumatic Brain Injuries