Suggestions for Recognizing Your Employees
Are you a team supervisor? Here is a list of ways to recognize and honor your staff this Employee Recognition Day (and every day!).
- Send personal invitations to everyone in the department/unit thanking them for their contributions and inviting them to attend the UM Employee Recognition Day reception held from 3-5 p.m. Thursday, April 13, 2017, in the UC Ballroom. Facilitate their attendance through scheduling/workload assignments for that day.
- Extend thank-yous to employees in other areas. We are all part of the Griz Family. Between now and April 12, you can send a specially formatted message of appreciation to anyone on campus through the Recognition Day messaging system, which will deliver your note of appreciation by email the day before the event.
- Celebrate success. Find ways to acknowledgemembers of your team who win University awards or other honors.
- Put up a thank you board signed by appropriate management.
- Create an employee of the month/year program and give recognition at employee meetings.
- Hold a thank you meeting or potluck and verbally acknowledge the accomplishments of each individual in your area.
- Consider having your team participate in a Campus Recreation team building or personal growth exercise.
- Give employees a new University Dining Services gift card or add money to existing Bear Bucks. Everyone likes to eat!*
- Surprise your employees with a catered coffee event complete with Bear Claw Bakery pastries.
- Create a "Great Employee" trophy and rotate it through the office to recognize particular actions by individuals.
- Give small thank you gifts or send flowers to everyone.*
- Create and distribute personalized note pads (available from Printing and Graphics).
- Bring in a masseuse (possibly through UM Physical Therapy) or a yoga instructor for a healthy thank you.
- Hand-write a card with a compliment or a thank you for a job well done.
- Provide one piece of paper for each employee; type their name and this statement on top: "I acknowledge you for…" Provide enough bullet points for the number of employees in your team and then pass it around so all employees can list one comment. Ceremoniously give each completed paper to the highlighted employee.
- Make it a point to say thank you or deliver a compliment to each employee every day.
* Gifts to employees may carry tax implications. This does not mean that they cannot be given, but there is a reporting process which must be followed. Please contact Shelley Hiniker at x6634 if you have any questions.