External Scholarships and Fellowships
For information about the following scholarships, contact:
Laure Pengelly Drake
Coordinator for Writing Center Programs, External Scholarships, and Advising
(406) 243-6140; LA144
- UM alumni can also work with our office for the preparation process and official university nomination letters.
- More scholarship information is available on the websites for individual scholarships, which you can find easily under the scholarship name. Look for other possibilities on the National Association of Fellowship Advisors’ website , and then connect with our office to discuss your application.
- Invitation to Faculty
- UM Scholarship Recipients
- Post-Baccalaureate Opportunities
- Scholarships and Fellowships in Peace and Security
- Post-Grad Opportunities
- USA and International Teaching Fellowships and Post-Graduate Internship Experiences
- External Scholarship Program (2015-2016 deadlines)
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Guidebook to Studying Abroad for Graduate School
- Scholarships for which non-citizens can apply
- Presentation on Writing Letters of Recommendation
- Great Scholarship and Fellowship Databases:
Graduate Students: For graduate scholarships, students should begin working on their application at least a year before the applications are due, which is usually the beginning of October for graduate school the following fall. The qualifications vary, but all require excellent academic, service, and leadership records. One test is that applicants should be strong candidates for top graduate programs in the US.
Alpha Lambda Delta
Phi Kappa Phi
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
George J. Mitchell Scholarship
The George J. Mitchell Scholarship awards one year of graduate study in any discipline at an institution of higher learning in Ireland.
Dental School Funding Opportunities
Alpha Lambda Delta
Phi Kappa Phi
Phi Kappa Phi (PKP) is a national honor society for juniors and seniors. Scholarships are available to various groups: rising sophomores who have not been inducted, nonmembers who are students at a PKP institution such as UM, and student and alumni PKP members.
Leifur Eiriksson Foundation Scholarship
The Leifur Eiriksson Foundation Scholarship awards about $25,000 or one year’s cost of graduate attendance, research, and study in most fields at a university in Iceland. UM deadline for assistance: Mid-November.
James Madison Memorial Fellowship
This fellowship will award up to $24,000 to students planning to pursue “master’s degree level graduate study of the framing and history of the U. S. Constitution.” College seniors and graduates who intend to become secondary school teachers of American history, American government, and/or social studies are eligible for this scholarship. UM deadline for assistance: Early February.
Portz Scholars Competition
Nominate an outstanding student paper at the end of fall semester or by May 17. At the end of May, the DHC will send one honors college student’s paper to the national competition. Three students will receive a $250 stipend and expenses for presentation at the National Collegiate Honors Council conference. If you do not know whether the student is a member of the Honors College, call Laure Pengelly Drake at (406) 243-6140. UM deadline: Mid-May.