Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
December 6, 2006
GBB 202, 12:10-1:00 p.m.
Members Present: A. Borgmann, T. Cossitt M. DeGrandpre, D. Erickson, N. Hassanein L. Hayes, T. Herron, J. Hirstein, R. Malecki, M. McClintock, N. Moisey, T. Thibeau, G. Stanley
Members Absent/Excused: C. Fiore, Arlene Walker-Andrews
Ex-officio members Present: Dean Strobel
Chair Hayes called the meeting to order at 12:10p.m.
The minutes from 11/29/06 were approved.
- ECOS met with President Dennison on Monday with regard to the Communicative Disorders / Speech Pathology Program. It decided to put the program on the Faculty Senate agenda under new business as an information item for vote at the February meeting.
- The IIP admissions committee has one complete application to review.
- The following curriculum follow-up items were approved.
UG DAN 425 and UG DRAM 310.
Professor Thibeau persuaded the department to remove the G status for
- The committee discussed and revised the Program Review Guidelines.
Graduate Program Review Guidelines (approved 12/6/06)
- I. Graduate Curriculum and Teaching
- a. Enrollments in program and courses
- b. Assessment of program and courses (entrance requirements, graduation requirements, quality of program, etc)
- c. Rationale for program including/excluding courses (if any 300-level courses, why; if 400-level courses, why) - comparison of program to other University programs of similar nature.
- d. Student Support and Feedback (mentoring, advising, program culture, funding, etc)
- II. Academic Record of Faculty
- a. Teaching (Number of classes/courses/term/year, Number of student advisees)
- b. Scholarly contributions (publications, creative works, grant generation, etc.)
- c. Service (to department, college, university and profession)
- a. Office
- b. Lab/classrooms/studios
- c. Library
- d. Information technology
- e. Special needs
- a. Decision making and distribution of departmental resources
- b. Selection and support of Graduate Director and how a
- c. Student participation in program governance
- d. Student recruitment
- V. Student Evaluation
- a. Review of overall student performance and progress
- Student experiences appropriate to their professional goals
- Timely communication of student deficiencies and an opportunity to remediate
- Mechanisms to promote retention and completion
- VI. New Directions and Recommendations
- a. Trends in the field (How are the faculty/department keeping up with the trends in field? Are courses being revised, re-written?)
- b. Recommendations
- Program Review updates
Professor Moisey is requesting additional information from the graduate program director. The department did not seek re-accreditation of the graduate program. It appears that there is little support for the graduate program. Students don't notice a difference between the undergraduate and graduate program.
Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Science and Geosciences reviews are underway.
- The MIS workgroup has researched other MIS programs and found that very few exist in larger schools, and most did not resemble UM's program.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.