Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
September 13, 2006
GBB 202, 12:10-1:00 p.m.
Members Present: A. Borgmann, M. DeGrandpre, D. Erickson, C. Fiore, N. Hassanein, L. Hayes, T. Herron, J. Hirstein, M. McClintock, T. Thibeau
Members Absent/Excused: N. Moisey, G. Stanley
Ex-Officio Members Present: Arlene Walker-Andrews, Dean Strobel
Guest: John Greer, Head, Technology and Systems Services, Mansfield Library
Chair Hayes called the meeting to order at 12:12p.m.
The 5/3/06 minutes were approved.
- Dean Strobel informed the committee of his intention to retire at the end of the summer or next fall.
- Professor McNulty declined the nomination for chair-elect because she has a course that conflicts with the Council's meeting time during fall semester. Professor Hassanein agreed to serve as interim chair-elect.
- There was discussion of the Educational Leadership and Counseling program review document and the extent to which the Council should seek additional information.
The motion to approve the document as written was tabled (6 in favor, 2 against). The difficulty stemmed from not having faculty vitae in order to review publications to address the teaching load issue. The faculty information was made available in an alternate format (database of aggregate data- password protected).
It was moved and approved that Chair Hayes should request vitae information from the department chair (6 in favor, 2 against).
- Dean Strobel explained the proposal to eliminate the bound paper copy in the electronic dissertation process. There will be a certified paper copy maintained in the archives, but it will not be bound. The bound copy requires different formatting, and is paid for by the student, and creates a storage problem. In the past one copy was put on the library shelf and the other in archives. With the electronic process the dissertations and thesis will be available electronically so there is no need for a copy on the shelf.
The Council approved the following by unanimous consent.
1) Starting the electronic process for master theses
2) Archive one certified paper copy, where possible.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.