Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
February 4, 2008
GBB 202, 12:10-1:00 p.m.
Members Present: C. Anderson, J. Bergman, R. Bolton, L. Frey, T. Herron, J. Hirstein, M. McGuirl, N. Moisey, M. Moore, G. Quintero, G. Stanley, C. VonReichert, C. Watson, C. Winkler
Ex-officio members Present: Associate Provost Brown
The meeting was called to order at 12:15 p.m.
The 12/3/08 minutes were amended and approved.
- Professors Anderson and Bergman were welcomed to the committee and members introduced themselves.
- Educational Leadership and Counseling withdrew the level I request. It will likely resubmit.
- February 18th the Graduate Council will not meet to allow members to attend the Academic Strategic Planning Town Hall meeting on Graduate Education.
- The Council discussed the proposed continuous registration policy. It made several recommendations to Associate Provost Brown. The policy includes provisions for exceptions. A statement should be added clarifying that the policy does not pertain to summer or distance programs. Another provision should be included that addresses students that have finished their dissertation defenses but still have administrative details to complete. It was also suggested that the policy allow for summer courses to be substituted for a semester in certain circumstances. The revised policy will be reviewed by the Council next week. Then Associate Provost Brown will hold an informational meeting with the Graduate Student Association. The Policy is intended to be effective starting 7/1/09.
- The Council was informed of a new experimental course housed in the Graduate School - GS 595 Preparation for Statistics. The Council questioned whether the course should be in the 500 sequence because of its remedial nature and whether it should be housed in the Graduate School. It was suggested that the course not count toward credit for a degree.
- The Science Subcommittee reviewed the proposed admissions standards for Public Health. It will request that a sentence be added to clarify intent. The revision should be available next week.
Good and Welfare: None
The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.