Inequality and Human Rights
Our society, and others around the world, are strongly shaped by inequalities—imbalances in wealth, political power and cultural status. What can or should be done about this? What factors and actions contribute to or reduce these inequalities? What are the consequences of these imbalances for the long-term functioning of societies?
Global Challenge Examples:
how to reverse the trend toward increasing economic inequality; how to address discrimination and racism; how to support the rights of historically oppressed groups; and how to balance order and safety with freedom of expression and self-determination.
How does this theme connect with GLI?
- Global Leadership Seminar Classes (first year)
- Social Interaction, Relationships, and Human Well-Being
- Hunger and Homelessness in a Land of Plenty: Montana and Beyond
- Beyond the Classroom Experiences (third year)
- Capstone Team Projects (fourth year)
How does this theme connect beyond GLI?
Examples of opportunities within UM student groups, academic programs and Missoula organizations: