Apply to ELI
A completed application and all required supporting documents must be received by the following dates:
- Step 1: Complete an online application
- Step 2: Pay the application fee
- Step 3: Submit required documents (required for overseas application and F-1 transfers) to ELI. More information can be found in the Required Documents section below.
- Step 4: Transfer students only: Students already at a school in the United States should supply a complete transfer form.
Your application will be considered once payment and all required documents have been received.
Required supporting documents may be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to +1(406)243-6194. You may also mail supporting documents to:
English Language Institute
University of Montana, International Center
Missoula, MT 59812, USA
*If you wish to apply to University of Montana directly but do not meet the minimum requirement for Full Admission or UP Admissions or do not have an English language test score, UM offers intensive academic English training for conditionally admitted students at our English Language Institute (ELI). Once the student receives the required English language proficiency score they can begin their undergraduate degree studies in the next term. Learn More about Conditional Admission.
Proof of Financial Support
New students applying from overseas and seeking a student (F-1) visa or F-1 students transferring to ELI from other schools must provide documents proving sufficient funds to cover tuition, living expense, and health insurance for one year. The total amount to show sufficient funds is currently $23, 712 US Dollars. All amounts must be in United States currency or show applicable conversion rates.
Examples sources of Funding and Required Documentation:
|Source of Funding||Required Documentation|
|Self Support||Certificate of Financial Responsibility and a bank or brokerage statement in your name or in the name(s) of your parent(s). These statements must show sufficient funds to support all expenses relating to your studies. If your parent's bank statement is used, the parent must provide a signed statement that these funds on deposit will be used to support your studies.|
|Parents/ Sponsor||Certificate of Financial Responsibility and a bank or brokerage statement in your name or in the name(s) of your parent(s). These statements must show sufficient funds to support all expenses relating to your studies. If your parents bank statement is used, the parent must provide a signed statement that these funds on deposit will be used to support your studies. If you are a sponsored student, a financial statement in the name of the sponsor indicated on the certificate of financial responsibility that covers one year of your costs at UM. The statement must be dated within the last six (6) months.|
|Government Agency||Letter of award or Letter of Financial Support or Financial Guarantee from an education institution, or a government agency showing sufficient funding to support all expenses relation to your studies.|
|If your sponsor is an American Citizen||An Affidavit of Support and bank statement from a relative or sponsor in the United States. This affidavit must show a sufficient income and resources to support all expense relation to your studies. Form I-134, Affidavit of Support is available from the Department of Homeland Security and is for non-immigrants who will receive financial support from an American citizen.|
- Passport Copy
- Submit a copy of your current passport photo page.
- Diploma Copy
- Submit a copy of your official high school or secondary school diploma.
After you have submitted your application you will receive emails asking for additional required supporting documents. Those documents are:
- Proof of adequate alternative Health Insurance Coverage
- You have the option of purchasing University of Montana Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance policy. The current cost is approximately $1850.98 for one semester. If you choose to bring your own health insurance coverage from your home country please submit proof of coverage after your application has been submitted. If students do not provide proof of coverage, they will automatically be charged for the UM student insurance plan.
- University of Montana Medical Requirement Form and Immunization Requirements
- Please fill out the Medical Requirement Form on the Curry Health Center Health Portal (access by clicking on the red "Health Portal" button at the top right corner of the page).
- Immunization Requirements
- Please log in to your account on the Curry Health Center Health Portal to access information regarding your immunization requirements.
If you have any questions about the immunization requirements of the Medical Requirement Form, contact Curry Health Center by email at email@example.com
Once you have submitted your application, paid your application fee, and submitted all the required supporting documents, you will receive an email from the ELI Program Coordinator confirming your application has been received. Your application will be reviewed and processed and within five (5) business days you will receive an email regarding the status of your application.
All students meeting eligibility requirements are accepted. Within two weeks of acceptance, you should receive your acceptance package including arrival information, information on how to obtain your visa, and your I-20, which is used to obtain a student visa. Acceptance packages are shipped through FedEx. The cost of shipping is included in the application fee.
The University of Montana supports a diverse community accepting of all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services, veteran status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
Disability Services for Students at the University of Montana ensures that programs are as accessible to and usable by students with disabilities as they are for any student. We determine the student's eligibility to request reasonable modifications and coordinate modifications for those who are registered with our office.
Please contact the ELI & Special Programs Assistant if you have any questions!