Banking and Finances

 U.S. Currency

In the United States, the currency is called the Dollar($), and  follows the decimal system.  Well-circulated coins are: penny (1 cent = 0.01 dollar), nickel (5 cents = 0.05 dollar), dime (10 cents = 0.1 dollar), quarter (25 cents = 0.25dollar).  Dollar bills are available in: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollar increments.

How much money should I bring to the US?

You should plan to bring enough money with you to cover your first semester's expenses. Please consider your planned length of stay, tuition and fees, living and personal expenses, and health insurance when calculating the approximate total funds you will require. If you are bringing dependants with you please also consider expenses per dependant. 

The safest way to bring a large amount of money is in U.S. dollar traveler's checks, bank drafts, or by credit card.

Information about opening a bank account in the US is available during Orientation.

For more information about Tuition and Fee's please visit Business Services website.

 When do I pay tuition and fees?

You should pay your tuition and fees each semester after you have registered for classes. Tuition and fees are invoiced the first week of the semester. Payment is due in full by the payment deadline set by the University of Montana. If a student does not pay by the deadline late fees will be assessed to overdue accounts and students will be dropped for non-payment by the 3rd week of the semester.

 How do I pay my bills?

Wire Transfer with Flywire

The University of Montana and Flywire offer an innovative and streamlined way to make international wires for tuition payments. It's fast, simple and cost-effective from any country anytime. 

flywire logo

Pay Online Through Cyberbear

After you have registered for classes you may view and pay your bill through Cyberbear online with a credit card. 

Deferred Payment Plan

You may choose to divide your total tuition, mandatory fees, and room & board into three payments. There is a $30.00 service fee for each semester you choose this option.

Pay in person

The University accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. You can also pay in cash.

Business Services
2nd Floor Lommasson Center
Hours: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., M-F
Student Accounts
Business Services
The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive #2304
Missoula, MT 59812-2304

Business Services
2nd Floor Lommasson Center 
Phone: (406) 243-2223 
Fax: (406)-243-4367
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., M-F

 Third Party Payments

An official, signed copy of a letter of Financial Guarantee or Letter of Payment is required of all students who are on scholarships or will be sponsored by a third party organization. The letter should include the students name, ID number, scholarship amount, period of validity, and sponsor billing details. Financial Guarantee's or Letters of Payment should be received by the university no later than  the first week of classes. Financial Guarantees and Letters from sponsors should be sent to:

Business Services

Third Party Payments
EL 267
32 Campus Dr. MS 2304
Missoula, MT 59812 U.S.A.
Fax: 406-243-4867

You as a student are ultimately responsible for payment. If payment has not been received by the third week of classes, you will not be allowed to attend classes until payment is received. You can pay out of pocket or set up a deferred payment plan and pay in four installments if a Financial Guarantee or Financial Letter has not been received by the University of Montana by the first week of classes. 

Questions concerning the billing of a sponsor should be directed to Cory Lambert in Business Services.