Creative Writing - Fiction MFA
Graduate Program Application Information
Graduate Program - Creative Writing
Program Website - http://life.umt.edu/grad/name/english
NOTE - BEFORE APPLYING, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED APPLICANTS REVIEW THE "Admission Section" OF THIS SITE FOR SPECIFIC PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS.
Degree/Major/Option - MFA/Creative Writing/Fiction
Admission Semester(s) and Application Deadline(s):
- Fall - Complete application packet must be postmarked by January 5.
Deadline(s) if also Applying for Assistantship:
- Complete application packet must be postmarked by January 5.
- The TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB are also required of international applicants and can substitute for the GRE
- All official test scores must be sent to the UM Graduate School (code 4489)
The following "Additional Application Materials" must be mailed directly to the department (address below):
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation if not submitted electronically through the online application (We prefer electronic submission through the Admission Application. If electronic method is used there is no need to send paper copies to the department.)
- A short (100-300 word) essay of personal goals for graduate study
- A sample of your creative writing: for the poetry option, 15 pages; for the fiction or non-fiction options, two short stories, parts of a novel or two essays, 15 - 25 pages. (The page numbers suggested are approximations, not a strict guideline.) If applying to more than one genre, applicants should send separate (labeled) writing samples for each specific genre.
- If you have published, be sure to send a list of publication information in your application packet
The University of Montana
Liberal Arts Building, Room 133
32 Campus Drive #6120
Missoula, MT 59812-6120