Curriculum and Instruction - Literacy Education M.Ed.
Graduate Program Application Information
Graduate Program - Curriculum and Instruction
Program Website - http://life.umt.edu/grad/name/curriculum
NOTE - BEFORE APPLYING, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED APPLICANTS REVIEW THE "Admission Section" OF THIS SITE FOR SPECIFIC PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS.
Degree/Major/Option - MEd/Curriculum & Instruction/Literacy Education
Admission Semester(s) and Application Deadline(s):
- Fall - Priority will be given to complete application packets received by March 1. Complete application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis
- Spring - Priority will be given to complete application packets received by October 1. Complete application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis
- Summer - Priority will be given to complete application packets received by March 1. Complete application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis
Deadline(s) if also Applying for Assistantship:
- Complete application packet must be received by March 1
- GRE scores with a test date that is within the past five years or verifiable GRE scores if the test date is over five years old
- The TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB are also required of international applicants
- All official test scores must be sent to the UM Graduate School
The following "Additional Application Materials" must be mailed directly to the department (address below):
- Letter of intent including academic and professional goals and philosophy of teaching and learning
, and the specific program option you are applying for.
- Current résumé including experiences with children and adolescents
- Three letters of recommendation that attest to your recent academic or professional performance (We prefer electronic submission through the Admission Application. If electronic method is used there is no need to send paper copies to the department.)
- At least one (two if Bachelor's degree GPA is below 3.0) of the following:
- MA/MEd/MS GPA of 3.3 or higher
- On campus interview (day/time to be scheduled at a convenient time only after all application materials are received)
- 500-word essay (see prompt "all elementary and secondary ..." below)
- National Board Certified
- GRE scores (Verbal of 450 or higher, Quantitative of 450 or higher, and Writing of 3.5 or higher)
- MAT score (375 or higher)
- Please indicate in your letter of intent which of the above options you are submitting.
Initial elementary and secondary licensure applicants must also submit:
- Initial Background Screening Form (formerly Form 2003.5), signed and notarized [please get rid of our old Form 2003.5 and replace with Initial Background Screening Form included in previous email]
- A fingerprint-based background check. A fingerprint card packet must be acquired from Teacher Education Services to complete the background check. (Please contact Teacher Education Services if unable to visit the office.)
- Background Check Authorization Form [please link to form included in previous email to you]
- Include a written description of previous experiences with children and adolescents. This is a two to three paragraph document separate from the resume.
- A 500-word essay, 12 point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, one-inch margins, and titled, in response to the following prompt: "Select and describe one significant learning experience from your life. Identify what you learned and explain how it will contribute to your work as a teacher." (Note: This may also count as an additional submission material under requirement #6 above.)
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Graduate Admission Committee Chair
The University of Montana
Education Building, Room 210B
32 Campus Drive #6346
Missoula, MT 59812-6346