Systems Ecology - M.S.
Graduate Program Application Information
Graduate Program - Systems Ecology
Program Website - http://www.umt.edu/grad/Programs/Systems%20Ecology.php
NOTE - BEFORE APPLYING, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED APPLICANTS REVIEW THE "Admission Section" OF THIS SITE FOR SPECIFIC PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS.
Degree/Major - MS/Systems Ecology
Deadline for Consideration
- The annual application deadline for consideration for admission the following fall semester is January 10. Admission to SEIGP at other times is possible but not preferred. All admissions to the SEIGP must be approved by a majority vote of the Graduate Admissions Committee.
Admission to the graduate program is competitive and based on the following criteria.
- Minimum Undergraduate GPA - 3.0; Masters Degree GPA - 3.5 (4.0 scale)
- GRE scores for verbal, quantitative, and analytical at or above the 60th percentile
- Strong letters of recommendation
- Well articulated statement of applicant's interest and goals
- Students must document strong support from a SEIGP faculty that has agreed to be the faculty advisor at UM
- Previous research and/or relevant experience
To apply to the SEIGP, a prospective student must have a faculty member agree to serve as his/her advisor (see criteria 5 above). Thus, it is required that students contact a SEIGP faculty member directly as part of the application procedure (see Application Procedures 7 below). Many well-qualified students are not offered admission because they have not secured the tacit support of a faculty member.
Applications to the SEIGP must include the following:
- Completed application form (available on-line from the UM Graduate School http://www.umt.edu/grad/Apply/)
- Completed summary sheet of all college course work
- Official transcript(s) of all college and university courses completed
- A short statement (1-2 pages) of interests and goals
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) detailing work experience from college entry to present
- Three letters of recommendation (We prefer electronic submission through the Admission Application. If electronic method is used there is no need to send paper copies to the department.)
- Statement of support from potential SEIGP faculty advisor
- GRE scores for verbal, quantitative, and analytical (SEIGP does not require the "Subject Exam")
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores (foreign students only)
Mail application materials to:
The University of Montana
Division of Biological Sciences
32 Campus Drive, HS104
Missoula, MT 59812