Submit your ETDP - Dissertation
ETDP Submission Process for Dissertations
Step 1: Defendable Electronic Draft
One week prior to your defense, electronically submit your thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format) to the Graduate School office. This submission is simply to check for formatting errors.
To submit your draft you can:
- Email the document to Isa.Atkinson@umontana.edu if it is small enough in size.
The Graduate School will review your document for formatting and e-mail you any revision notes.
If you have questions about submitting documents electronically, please contact Kelly Speer, the Technology Coordinator for the Graduate School at 406-243-2701 or Kelly.Speer@umontana.edu
Step 2: Submission of the Final Electronic Version of your Document
Please name your document in the following format: Last Name_First Name_document type (Example: Doe_John_Thesis.pdf)
Your committee chair will submit your final thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format), electronically to the Graduate School Office once your document has met all of the following criteria:
1.) Reviewed and approved for defense by the Graduate School.
2.) Successfully defended.
3.) Revisions made for your committee and the Graduate School.
To submit your draft you can:
- Email the document to Isa.Atkinson@umontana.edu
The Graduate School will use this electronic document to compare and approve the copy that the student submits to UMI/Proquest (See step 4 below). UMI/Proquest then transfers the Dissertations to The Mansfield Library.
If you have questions about submitting documents electronically, please contact Kelly Speer, the Technology Coordinator for the Graduate School at 406-243-2701 or Kelly.Speer@umontana.edu.
Step 3: Final items submitted to the Graduate School - The following items are submitted to the Graduate School prior to the final graduation deadline. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature on items where appropriate.
- Certificate of Approval Form (PDF format) signed by you and your chair or co-chairs. The chair or co-chairs must have the approval of ALL your committee members in order for your document to be the certified. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature.
- Completion Document - The "Department" copy of your Graduation Application signed on the back by your chair or co-chairs under Final Degree Requirements. This form verifies the date you passed your defense, comprehensive exam and/or foreign language requirements, if applicable.
- Complete Doctoral Survey Form (Doctoral Students only)
Online Doctoral Survey Form - https://sed.norc.org/doctorate/showRegister.do
Any course or research credit grade changes needed for degree. The Graduate School is responsible for changing thesis, dissertation or professional paper credit grades (599 or 699) to CR once your PDF is received.
Step 4: Submit your ETDP to UMI/ProQuest (Doctoral Students Only)
1.) Go to The University of Montana section of the UMI/ProQuest web site at: http://www.etdadmin.com/cgi-bin/school?siteId=80.
2.) Read the "Before you begin" section before you start your submission. In addition to what Proquest mentions you also need to have the following to complete your submission: A credit card to pay your archiving/optional copyright fee.
3.) Click "START YOUR SUBMISSION".
4.) Create your account.
5.) Log in and follow the steps to complete your submission.