Submit your ETDP - Thesis or Professional Paper
ETDP Submission Process for Thesis and Professional Paper
Please note: The submission process for the dissertation is different from the thesis or professional paper. Click here for dissertation instructions.
Step 1: Defendable Electronic Draft
One week prior to your defense, electronically submit your thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format) to The Graduate School. This is simply to check for formatting errors.
To submit your draft you can:
- Email the document to Isa.Atkinson@umontana.edu if your file is small enough.
The Certificate of Approval form should be filled out and taken with you to your defense so signatures can be gathered. The Graduate School will get the Graduate Dean's signature for you.
If you have questions about submitting documents electronically, please contact Kelly Speer, the Technology Coordinator for the Graduate School at 406-243-2701 or Kelly.Speer@umontana.edu.
Step 2: Submission of the Final Electronic Version of your Document
Please name your document in the following format: Last Name_First Name_document type (Example: Doe_John_Thesis.pdf)
Your committee chair will submit your final thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format), electronically to the Graduate School Office once your document has met all of the following criteria:
1.) Reviewed and approved for defense by the Graduate School
2.) Successfully defended
3.) Revisions made for your committee and the Graduate School
To submit the final you can:
- Email the document to Isa.Atkinson@umontana.edu
Please ask your committee chair to include your name and whether the document is a draft or final copy in the subject line of the email. Submission of this electronic document by your committee chair will certify that your document has been reviewed and approved as the final document by all members of your committee.
The Graduate School will use this electronic document to compare and approve the copy that the student submits to UMI/Proquest (See step 4 below). UMI/Proquest then transfers the Dissertations to The Mansfield Library.
If you have questions about submitting documents electronically, please contact Kelly Speer, the Technology Coordinator for the Graduate School at 406-243-2701 or Kelly.Speer@mso.umt.edu.
Step 3: Final items submitted to the Graduate School - The following items are submitted to the Graduate School prior to the final graduation deadline. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature on items where appropriate.
- Certificate of Approval Form (PDF format) signed by you and your chair or co-chairs. The chair or co-chairs must have the approval of ALL your committee members in order for your document to be the certified. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature.
- Completion Document - The "Department" copy of your Graduation Application signed on the back by your chair or co-chairs under Final Degree Requirements. This form verifies the date you passed your defense, comprehensive exam and/or foreign language requirements, if applicable.
- Any course or research credit grade changes needed for degree. The Graduate School is responsible for changing thesis, dissertation or professional paper credit grades (599 or 699) to CR once your PDF is received.
Step 4: Submit your ETDP to The Mansfield Library (This step must be completed BEFORE your degree is awarded)
1.) Mansfield Library ETDP submittal site at: http://www.lib.umt.edu/research/etdp.htm.
2.) Make sure you have your ETDP files available to upload.
3.) Click "Submit a new ETDP to the collection".
4.) Create your account.
5.) Log in and follow the steps to complete your submission.