M.S. in Recreation Management


Thesis: 30 credits, oral defense, public seminar.  Non-thesis: 36 credits, written and/or oral examination.  Students wishing to pursue a Ph.D. in Recreation Management will have to earn a Ph.D. in Forestry and specialize in Recreation Management.

Please visit the Master of Science in Recreation Management program website for more information.


1. Application Materials and Deadline

  • Fall - Deadline for all application materials is January 31.  Application packets received after this date will only be reviewed if prior arrangements have been made with a faculty member.
  • Spring - Deadline for all application materials is August 31.  Application packets received after this date will only be reviewed if prior arrangements have been made with a faculty member.

Applications submitted by FAX are not acceptable.  No action will be taken on any incomplete application files.
Instructions for applying to the Graduate School are in the Applying for Admission section on this web site.
In addition to the application materials required by the Graduate School, the College of Forestry and Conservation also requires:

Statement of specific interest in pursuing a graduate education at The University of Montana, outlining the applicant's area of desired specialization and any faculty members previously contacted regarding graduate study opportunities.

Three letters of recommendation (We prefer electronic submission through the Admission Application. If the electronic method is used there is no need to send paper copies to the department.)

2. Program Requirements for Admission

  • Grade point average of 3.0 for all college course work.
  • Graduate Record Examination minimum scores of 148 Quantitative, 153 Verbal and 4.0 Analytical for tests taken after 8/01/2011.  (Minimum scores for tests taken prior to 8/01/2011 are 600 Quantitative, 500 Verbal and 4.0 Analytical.)
  • The College of Forestry and Conservation accepts GRE scores with a test date that is within the past five years OR verifiable GRE scores if the test date is over five years old.
  • Applicants not meeting the above requirements may be admitted on a provisional basis depending on CFC Graduate Committee approval.

3. Assistantship Application and Deadline

Research assistantships (RA's) and teaching assistantships (TA's) are available through individual faculty members and departmental chairs, respectively.  RA's typically support an ongoing faculty/graduate student research project.  TA's provide opportunities for students to gain skills in academic instructing.  Typically TA allocations are made by departmental chairs in the spring for the upcoming academic year.

Several teaching assistantships in the wildlife biology program are also available: contact the wildlife biology program director for more details.

4. International Students

Financial Assistance

For additional information about financial assistance, see the Financial Information section on this web site.

Teaching Assistantships

The College of Forestry and Conservation has a variety of teaching assistantships available each year.  Graduate students in these positions assist faculty with course instruction through leading laboratory/discussion sections, delivering lectures and grading assignments.  Usually, only applicants admitted under full status to the Graduate School are eligible for teaching assistantships.  Teaching assistants are selected according to their suitability of background in the College of Forestry and Conservation courses for which teaching assistants are needed and may be either half- or full-time on a semester or yearly basis.  Full-time teaching assistants work no more than 20 hours per week for 15 weeks each semester of the academic year.  In addition to their salaries, teaching assistants receive a tuition fee waiver (in-state or out-of-state) and a waiver of the registration fee.  Other fees charged by the University are not included in the TA fee waiver package.  Teaching assistants are required to register for a minimum of 6 credits each semester.

Research Assistantships

Research assistantships present opportunities for current and incoming graduate students for both hands-on involvement in ongoing research and financial assistance.  Research assistants are recruited by individual faculty members who have grants from various sources such as McIntire-Stennis, NSF, USDA, etc., and become available at various times during the year as grants become available.  The College of Forestry and Conservation's McIntire-Stennis program emphasizes research which provides research training and experience for graduate students.  Graduate research assistants are assigned duties by the faculty member that either involve direct efforts on that faculty member's research, or provide other assistance which enables the faculty member to invest more time in research.  These duties are frequently applicable to the student's own thesis or dissertation research.  Research assistants are expected to work no more than 20 hours per week for 15 weeks each semester.  Research assistants may or may not carry fee waivers, but if not their salaries are usually adjusted to make them equivalent to teaching assistant salaries.  Research assistants must register for a minimum of 6 credits each semester.


George E. Bright Memorial Graduate Fellowships:  The George E. Bright Fellowships are awarded each year to one or more graduate students in the College of Forestry and Conservation.  All incoming and current graduate students are eligible for this award.  Fellowship awards in recent years have averaged about $2,000.  Contact the graduate application coordinator in the College of Forestry and Conservation for more details.
In addition, the College of Forestry and Conservation has several other scholarships for which graduate students are eligible.  Application is on an annual basis and applications are normally due in mid-February with decisions made by the end of March for the next academic year.  Students should visit College of Forestry and Conservation's scholarship website for the online application, list of application materials and deadlines.  Applications will be available on the College of Forestry and Conservation home page in November of each year.  Receipt of these scholarships or fellowships does not make a graduate student ineligible to apply for other financial assistance such as a teaching or research assistantship.
Bertha Morton Scholarships/Fellowships:  The Bertha Morton Scholarships and Fellowships are awarded annually to outstanding current graduate students throughout The University of Montana.  Nominations are solicited by the Graduate School during spring semester for awards during the following academic year.

M.S. in Recreation Management

Department website
Campus Location
Forestry 109A
Federal Express Delivery - Street Address
College of Forestry and Conservation
Attn:  Graduate Applications
32 Campus Drive #0576
Missoula, MT 59812-0576

(406) 243-5521
Fax: (406) 243-4845
Graduate Coordinator
Wendy Maltonic, Database Administrator and Federal Liason

Program information last updated 5/12