- Applying for admission to the graduate program in Philosophy is a two-step process:
- First: Complete the Online Application (https://www.applyweb.com/apply/uomont/menu.html) As part of this process, applicants must do the following:
- Self-report GRE scores (international students may substitute TOEFL scores);
- Self-report all colleges and universities attended (including grade point average);
- Request 3 letters of recommendation (online recommendations are preferred);
- Upload a statement of purpose (100-300 words) describing your background, research interests, professional goals, and reasons for choosing the Department of Philosophy at the University of Montana. Please specify in your statement of purpose which degree track you are applying for: M.A. in Environmental Philosophy or M.A. in Philosophy;
- Upload a writing sample that demonstrates your philosophical abilities;
- Pay the application fee.
- Second: Request Official Scores and Transcripts.
- Request that official GRE scores be sent to the University of Montana using code 4489 (international students may request that official TOEFL scores be sent instead);
- Request that official transcripts be sent to the Department of Philosophy from all colleges and universities you have attended (excluding University of Montana). Transcripts may also be transmitted electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Applications are only accepted for the Fall Semester. Complete application packets must be received by February 1.
- Students who wish to be considered for teaching assistantships, fellowships or scholarships must submit a complete application packet by February 1.
Liberal Arts Building, Room 101
Federal Express Delivery - Street Address
The University of Montana
Department of Philosophy
Liberal Arts 101
32 Campus Drive #5780
Missoula, MT 59812-5780
Fax: (406) 243-5313
Deborah Slicer, Graduate Advisor
Laura Jones Lofink, Office Manager
Paul Muench, Chair