Financial Aid

Federal financial aid is available to graduate students in the form of student loans.


To be eligible for federal student aid (loans) you must meet all criteria necessary for eligibility in the United States federal aid program, be fully admitted to a graduate degree seeking program at The University of Montana and be registered for a minimum of 6 credits.

To Apply

Applicants must file the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For optimum aid packages, this form should be filed by March 1 for fall semester enrollment.

Graduate students do not receive the automatic FAFSA renewal form provided to undergraduates. Graduate students must complete the FAFSA each year they want financial aid.


Financial aid awards are usually credited to your student account. Aid is released after you have fulfilled all financial aid requirements and after classes begin. Students who are working for the University are paid monthly.

Graduate students should have financial resources secured when they arrive on campus so they can begin school. Loan payments and paychecks can be delayed. Graduate students are advised to contact the Financial Aid Office early in the summer in order to verify the status of their financial aid.

Council of Graduate Schools resolution regarding Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made.

Contact Information

The University of Montana
Financial Aid Office
32 Campus Drive #2232
Missoula, MT 59812-2232

Telephone: (406) 243-5373
Fax: (406) 243-4930
Web Site: