ENERGY CONSERVATION TIPS
Whether you are a student, faculty member, staff person, or administrator, all members of the University community have many opportunities to reduce their environmental impact by making everyday choices with an eye towards conservation. Below are a few suggestions.
In the classroom:
- Use only as much lighting as you need! Many classrooms have the option of turning on multiple rows of lights, but you might only need one or two.
- On sunny days, take advantage of natural light! Always remember to turn them off when you leave.
- Keep shades open or closed to either allow sunlight to heat during winter or to prevent heating during summer.
- Heater on overdrive? Contact Facilities Services to see if they can help.
In the office:
- Use compact flourescent light bulbs (CFLs) in desk lamps.
- CFL bulbs provide comparable light to a standard light bulb, use 75% less energy and generate less heat.
- CFLs also last 10-13 times longer! You can buy them at the Bookstore for a low price!
- Did you know that screen savers don't actually save energy? Always turn off your monitor when your computer is not in use.
- Unplug appliances that are not in use. Using a powerstrip makes this an easy task that requires just the flip of a switch!
- Minimize the use of electric appliances by sharing with others in your department.
- Enable power-saving features on equipment like copiers, fax machines, and printers. Make sure your default is set to double-sided paper!
- When it comes time for new office equipment and supplies look for energy efficient, recycled, or used products first.
- Talk to your co-workers about getting your whole department on board and develop your own sustainability initiatives!
In your dorm room:
- Buy reused items for your dorm rooms like furniture, lamps, hangers-you will create a much more unique living environment while avoiding purchasing new goods.
- Be sure to use Compact Fluorescent light bulbs in all room lamps-even better, cut back on the number of lamps in your room and use natural lighting whenever possible. You'll save space and energy!
- Purchase Energy Star appliances only: refrigerators, microwaves, computers, etc.
- Bring your bike to campus
- Purchase your school supplies with high recycled content, durable binders for reuse, and try to buy used books (you'll save both money and trees!)
- Wash cold and air dry. Wash your laundry in cold water or the warm/cold rinse cycle and air dry your clothes whenever possible. Also, be sure that you're washing a full load.
- Be a conscious consumer! Avoid purchasing goods that come with too much packaging. Try to reduce your use of disposable items (dishes, coffee cups, razors).
- Get involved! Educate yourself about sustainability, seek out campus sustainability initiatives, talk to your peers, become a sustainability leader!
For more download a Green Dorm Poster or a Energy Conservation Tips Poster