Griz Card Eligibility


Students must be registered for at least one class in the current or upcoming semester, or be an incoming freshman that has been accepted to the University of Montana to be eligible for a Griz Card. You must pay the new card fee of $15 and present a valid government issued photo ID when you pick up your card. If you are a Missoula College and University of Montana Mountain Campus student, you will pick up your Griz Card in person at the Griz Card Center in the University Center.  If you have submitted your photo online and attend classes at the Bitterroot College, please see the pick-up instructions on the photo submission page.

New students for Spring 2018 Semester are eligible to pick-up a card beginning December 22nd, 2017.

Faculty & Staff

Full or part-time employees of the University are eligible for a Griz Card once hiring information is entered into the Human Resources system. The Griz Card Center staff will check the HR system to verify your employment status. We cannot issue a Griz Card until you are in the HR system. You must pay the new card fee of $15 and present a valid government issued photo ID when you pick up your card.

If you are not yet entered into the Human Resources system, Griz Card Center staff will attempt to contact HR to check the status of your hiring information; however, you may need to contact your HR representative to have the process expedited.

Affiliates & Griz Visitors

The University of Montana has set up a process by which people working or studying at the University in an unofficial, but closely associated manner may obtain access to a variety of University resources. There are two types of affiliations, Affiliates and Griz Visitors, which are verified through an approval process


Dependents are spouses and children of UM Employees, Students, and Campus or Faculty Affiliates. Dependents can begin the approval process for a Griz Card by filling out the appropriate form.


A spouse shall be defined as a person currently and legally married to a UM Sponsor.  They may also be a Domestic Partner, regardless of sex, who resides with the UM Sponsor and shares expenses and responsibilities in a relationship of at least six months.


Children must be between the ages of 5 and 18.


Alumni must be members of the Alumni Association to be eligible for a Griz Card. For more information on joining the Alumni Association please contact The Office of Alumni Relations.  


Retirees seeking Griz Cards should go to the Griz Card Center. Please bring a copy of the retiree status verification letter that was provided by Human Resources Benefits Services. Griz Card Center staff may be able to verify retirement status by calling Human Resources.