Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Apply for Fullbright

The Institute of International Education, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, announced recently the launch of the 2010-11 Fulbright U.S. Student Program competition. University of Montana students are encouraged to apply.

Fulbright international study or research grants and English teaching assistantships aim to increase mutual understanding among nations while catalyzing leadership development in scholars.

The Fulbright Program awards about 1,500 grants each year and operates in more than 150 countries. English teaching assistantships are available in more than 40 countries. The grants generally provide for roundtrip travel, living costs for one academic year, health and accident coverage and full or partial tuition.

Applications and program information are available at Students currently enrolled at UM may call Assistant Professor Clint Walker at 406-243-2501 or e-mail for more information about applying. 

Applications must be submitted both electronically and in hard copy to Walker by Friday, Oct. 2. Electronic applications must be received at IIE by Oct. 19 and hard copy applications by Oct. 21. 

Applicants must be U.S. citizens and hold a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent by the beginning of the grant. In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional training and/or experience meets eligibility requirements. The program does not require applicants to be currently enrolled in a college or university, and experienced young professionals are encouraged to apply.

Since its inception in 1946, the Fulbright Program has given more than 294,000 participants worldwide the opportunity to teach, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to international concerns.