UM Opens New Tech Lounge in UC
In response to students’ interest in more dynamic learning spaces, The University of Montana has created a new Tech Lounge located in University Center Room 220.
The Tech Lounge is open to UM students, faculty and staff, and users can access the technology by logging in with their NetID. It offers a comfortable, tech-friendly, collaborative learning and lounging environment. The lounge is open during regular UC hours: 6 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to midnight Saturday and 9 a.m. to midnight Sunday.
Some Tech Lounge features include:
- Movable furnishings that can accommodate individuals or groups and chairs that are equipped with tablet arms for laptop or mobile device use.
- Convenient and accessible floor and wall electrical outlets.
- Movable whiteboards for collaborative study sessions.
- LCD monitors mounted in the lounge area and in two multimedia conference rooms for presentations or group study.
- Full-coverage wireless access points for Internet usage on demand.
- Internet access-only array of Netbooks mounted on an “email bar” that can be accessed with NetID authentication.
- Dedicated monitor to display digital art as an extension of the UC Gallery and UC art exhibits.
- Light fixtures made of natural bamboo and equipped with compact fluorescent lamps.
- An on-site IT student lab monitor to assist users.
The Tech Lounge is a collaborative project between the UC, the Student Computer Fee Committee, the Provost’s Office and the Information Technology Office.