End of Fall Semester Information
Closing for Winter Break
- The Residence Halls close for Fall Semester at noon on Saturday, December 15, 2018.
- UM Housing assumes all residents will return for Spring Semester unless they notify UM Housing by submitting a Residence Halls Contract Release form before December 7, 2018. If you are planning to move out at the end of fall, please read the Moving Off Campus for Spring Semester section below.
If a resident’s roommate is not planning to return for Spring Semester and completes an official checkout, the remaining resident must keep the other side of the room completely clear and clean. UM Housing maintenance staff will be entering the room to clean and inspect for damages during the break. If the remaining resident has taken over both sides of the room with their belongings, UM Housing staff reserves the right to move all items back to one side, and the resident may be charged for the extra cleaning time.
Staying On Campus for Spring Semester
- Residents staying on campus for Spring Semester may leave their belongings in their assigned room over Winter Break. Residents will not be able to access their rooms during the break; therefore, it is important to make sure all items needed for the break are taken when leaving at the end of Fall Semester. Access to the room after noon on December 15th may be available; however, there is a $10.00 fee for this access and UM Housing staff will escort the resident to and from the room to grab items needed.
- If needing to stay past noon on Saturday, December 15, 2018, residents must sign up with UM Housing in Turner Hall before Friday, December, 7, 2018.
- The Residence Halls open at 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, for Spring Semester. Early arrival is available starting at 9:00 am on Saturday, January 5, 2019, for an additional $23.00 per day until January 8, 2019. No prior arrangements are required to arrive starting January 5th; however, if you need to arrive before January 5th, please contact the UM Housing Office to make arrangements.
Moving Off Campus for Spring Semester
- All residents planning to move off campus at the end of Fall Semester must be approved by the UM Housing Office. This includes, but is not limited to, those who are planning to live off campus but still attend UM, those transferring or otherwise not attending UM, and international students returning home. Those planning to not live in the Residence Halls for Spring Semester must submit a Residence Halls Contract Release Request form before 5:00pm on Friday, December 7, 2018. Requests received after December 7, 2018, may be assessed a $40 late vacate notice fee. All release requests must be reviewed and approved by the Director of UM Housing. The review process can take a couple days particularly with the high volume of requests at the end of the semester, so plan ahead and submit your request at least a week before you plan to actually check out!
- If approved to move off campus, a checkout authorization must be completed with the UM Housing Office and a proper checkout must be completed by noon on Saturday, December 15, 2018. If not checked out by this time, the resident will be required to live on campus for Spring Semester and will be responsible for Spring Semester housing charges. Please review the checkout guide for more information on completing a proper checkout.
Winter Break Housing
- Housing is available between noon on Saturday, December 15, 2018, and 9:00 am on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, for $23.00 per day.
- Arrangements must be made in person with the UM Housing Office in 101 Turner Hall by 5:00 pm on Friday, December 7, 2018. Arrangements made after this date will include a $40.00 processing fee in addition to the $23.00 per day.