End of Semester Info
Residence Halls Close at Noon on Saturday, May 12, 2018
All residents must move out, clean their room, and have a proper checkout completed by Noon on Saturday, May 12, 2018.
- All residents must attend the mandatory end of semester floor meeting on Tuesday, May 1st, or Wednesday, May 2nd. Signs will be posted with specific times for meetings within each hall.
- Residents will need to sign up for a checkout time with any RA that fits their schedule. Checkout time schedules will be available to sign up for at the Hall Area Desks starting after the mandatory floor meetings. Checkout times must be signed up for at least 48 hours in advance.
- To prepare for their scheduled checkout time, residents will need to have all belongings removed from their room. The room must be cleaned thoroughly including dusting, sweeping, mopping, and taking trash out. For a complete checklist for cleaning, please see the Semester Checkout & Cleaning Guide.
- When the scheduled checkout time arrives, an RA will meet the resident at their room to complete an initial inspection and collect the room key/card and mailbox key. Please note that UM Housing maintenance staff will complete a thorough inspection during the summer. Please check your CyberBear account during the summer as additional charges for cleaning or damages may be assessed after maintenance staff complete their process.
Tips for a successful checkout
- Attend your scheduled checkout time. Not being prepared and/or not attending your scheduled checkout time could result in charges including $40.00 for an improper checkout, $25.00 for not returning room cards or any temporary access cards that may be issued, $100.00 for not returning mailbox keys, and $100.00 for not returning metal room keys.
- Make your travel/living arrangements at least a week in advance. Be sure to have a plan for where you will be going or when your transportaiton is available so that you don't end up with a checkout time on Tuesday when your ride won't arrive until Thursday.
- Cleaning always takes longer than planned. When signing up for a checkout time, think about when you plan to be done and then sign up for an hour after that time. This will give you a buffer to make sure you are ready to check out when your time is up.
- Make sure you complete all items on the Checkout & Cleaning Guide. The inspection at time of checkout is a quick look at the room by the RA to make sure furniture isn't missing, no major cleaning needs to be completed, and that your belongings are gone. Maintenance staff will do a complete inspection including damage repairs and cleaning in the weeks following your checkout. Any costs for additional cleaning or damages found will be charged to your student account.
- Donate gently used items such as clothing, small appliances, unopened food, bedding, and school supplies to Campus Thrift, May 10th - May 12th. Collection sites will be near most Residence Hall buildings. View this map to see the closest collection site near you.
Reminders Once You Are Checked Out
- Update your mailing address on CyberBear. Mail is not held over the summer. Any first-class mail received can be forwarded to the mailing address on CyberBear. If you have not updated your address, first-class mail will be returned to sender on arrival. Non-first-class mail such as newspapers and magazines cannot be forwarded, and are therefore thrown away. Please make sure your new address is updated with senders including family, friends, banks, newspapers, magazines, cell phone companies, etc.
- Pay owing balance on your CyberBear account. Fees such as parking tickets, temporary room keys, and health charges can add up over the semester. You will want to make sure these are paid for to avoid additional interest charges and possibly having registration problems in the Fall. Please note that cleaning and damage charges from checkout inspections are assessed throughout the summer. Therefore, you should check your CyberBear frequently to pay those charges.
UM Housing offers convenient and reasonably priced storage units located in five of their nine Residence Halls for students to rent over the summer or during the academic year. Units vary in rates as well as sizes.
Students who have submitted a completed housing application for the Residence Halls, Lewis and Clark Village, or the University Villages for the 2018-2019 Academic Year are eligible to rent a storage unit to store their items over the summer.
To check on availability, please see the UM Housing Office in Turner Hall, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm. Storage units are rented on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please contact the UM Housing Office in Turner Hall, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm, to check on summer housing availability. Space is very limited and is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. For general information about summer housing, please view the summer housing page.