FAQs - Residence Halls

Below are answers to commonly asked questions about the Residence Halls.

About Applying to Housing

You may apply for the Residence Halls by completing the online application. A $225.00 payment is required with the application. $25.00 is a non-refundable processing fee and the $200.00 is a prepayment deposit which applies to your semester bill once you move into your room and finalize your student account. Housing applications are accepted throughout the year; however, rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis by the submission date of the application.

The $200.00 prepayment deposit is required along with a $25.00 non-refundable processing fee. The $200.00 prepayment is refundable if the housing application is cancelled by the semester cancellation deadline. All cancellations must be made directly with UM Housing by the student. Cancelling or changing admissions with Enrollment Services does not cancel your housing. See the Cancellation page for more information on the cancellation process and deadlines.

The housing application includes a short survey where you will indicate your living preferences. You may select up to five of your top choices in Residence Halls. Please review the hall options before submitting your application. Keep in mind that all room assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. The available choices become more limited as we get closer to the beginning of the semester.

You may request a roommate on your housing application. The roommate request must be mutual and both students must request each other on the applications. Roommate requests are based on availability, and both roommates should submit applications together or within a short period of time between in order be accommodated.

If a roommate is not requested, you will be assigned one based off of your preferences on the housing application. Roommates are matched using the profile questions each student submits with their housing application.

Spring housing assignments are made the second week of January each year and will be available on myHousingPortal once made.

Fall housing assignments are made starting in April. View the Fall Application Status section on the Apply page to view the updated status of which applications are currently being assigned. Once a room has been assigned, the room/roommate information will be available on myHousingPortal.

Roommate information is found on the Housing Assignment Information section of myHousingPortal. For detailed directions on viewing your room/roommate information, view our Residence Halls Assignment Guide.

When you will be assigned a roommate can vary depending on availability and your living preferences. You may be assigned a roommate right away or not until right before the semester starts. Please keep in mind that roommates often change before the move-in date. It is not uncommon to have 2-3 different roommates due to cancellations and room changes. We suggest not making any solid plans on purchases such as refrigerators with your future roommate until a few weeks before the semester.

We strongly suggest avoiding the use of social media sites such as Facebook to look up your roommate. These sites often do not provide an accurate representation of what a roommate might be like in person. There is also a high chance that you will look at the wrong person’s profile. Depending on the name, there could be hundreds or even thousands of people with the same name. Instead of taking the chance and getting a bad first impression, we suggest contacting your roommate using the contact information provided on myHousingPortal. If the semester starts and you find that your roommate really isn’t the best match, you can get on a waitlist to change rooms in any of the halls you are interested in living. If a room opens up and you are next on the waitlist, you will be able to move to a new room.

Residence Hall Room Rates are proposed and subject to change pending approval of the Board of Regents. All rates include cable TV, high-speed Internet, and all utilities.

All students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. UM Dining offers two meal plans to choose from ranging in costs and benefits, so you are sure to find one that meets your needs!

The first official opening day of housing is the Saturday before classes start each semester. Early arrival is available starting the Saturday before the official opening day in Fall and the Tuesday before the official opening day in Spring. There is an additional early arrival fee for each day you arrive before the official opening day. No arrangements are required for early arrival. You will be able to check into your room by going to the Area Desk of your hall after 9:00 am each day of early arrival. The early arrival fee will be added to your student account within one business day.

The Residence Halls start accepting mail and packages the first day of early arrivals. You may ship items to yourself starting on that day. Space is limited for storing packages, however, so please ship packages so they arrive as close to your arrival date as possible. All packages will be held at the Area Desk of your hall until you sign for them.

The state of Montana requires all students with less than 30 earned college credits to live in the Residence Halls. Please see the Freshmen Residency Requirement for more information.

About Moving In

All Residence Halls are equipped with standard twin size beds (NOT extra-long), desks, dresser, closet, chair, bookshelf, overhead light, network connection, and a wastebasket. Pantzer Hall suites' common living area also has a refrigerator, microwave, large storage closet, a furnished living room, and two bathrooms. Miller Hall pods also have a refrigerator, microwave, carpeted living room furnished with a two-seat sofa, and sofa table. Miller Hall singles also have a refrigerator and microwave.

  • Personal care items
  • Toiletry basket
  • Shower shoes
  • Pillow
  • Mattress pad
  • Standard twin size sheets
  • Blankets
  • Hangers
  • Bath towels
  • School supplies, such as notebook paper and pens
  • Desk study lamp
  • Alarm clock
  • Laundry basket or bag
Optional items that many students bring, but are not needed include:
  • Television
  • Radio
  • Throw rugs
  • Pictures/posters
  • Camera
  • Bathrobe
  • Desk organizer
  • Small fan
  • Refrigerator (under 4.0 cubic feet inside space)
  • Electrical appliances for cooking are not allowed in any of the buildings. Exceptions are hot air poppers, coffee pots, hot pots, and microwaves.
  • Anything with an open element
  • Candles
  • Pets (other than fish in a tank 10 gallons or less)

The Residence Halls are not vented like houses, so cooking at higher temperatures for meat products is not safe inside a Residence Hall room. Coffee pots, popcorn poppers, hot pots, and microwaves are allowed; however, no other cooking appliances are allowed in individual rooms. In kitchens provided in the halls, baking is allowed but again, no cooking of meat as these kitchens are not vented for higher temperature cooking.

All beds in the Residence Halls are standard twin size mattresses.

UM Housing partners with OCM to provide students with an opportunity to order their room linens in advance. We encourage you to check out the OCM website for linen options that you may purchase for your Residence Hall room.

About Living in the Residence Halls

The halls are open and residents may stay in their room during both Thanksgiving and Spring Break for no additional cost. If a student wants to stay all or part of Winter Break, they must sign up in advance of the break in the UM Housing Office in Turner Hall. Housing during Winter Break is $23.00 per day, and residents must turn in their mailbox key, room key, and/or room access card if they leave for any part of Winter Break.

There is not a curfew in the Residence Halls. Students are expected to set their own limits and be mindful they live in a community with other people. The halls do have quiet hours residents are expected to follow.

We want you to feel at home while living with us! Get in touch with your Resident Assistant (RA) when you come to campus. RAs are students just like you who want to be leaders, educators, and supporters of the people who live on their floors. Your RA can help you get connected to campus, find your classes, be a friendly face, and answer any and all questions you may have. In addition, RAs put on fun and exciting programs throughout the year for you to attend including social movie nights, free food, challenging questions, and much more! Interested in more? Consider joining your Residence Hall area’s Programming Board! The Programming Board is your opportunity to choose the events your hall is providing to residents and gain some important leadership experience - even as a freshman!

Join your Residence Hall area’s Programming Board! A Programming Board is a group of students from the Residence Halls who are interested in being leaders in their communities and want to help choose what is going on in the hall. You can join your hall’s board immediately when you come to school and move on campus. Be on the lookout for information about Programming Board informational sessions or talk to your RA. There is no limit to how many students can be involved in the board and it is up to you how involved you want to be. You can represent your whole building, be the “chair” of something you are interested in (e.g., Finance, Sustainability, Event Planning, etc.), or you can just join in on the program planning fun and be a member of the board! Don’t want to be a member? No problem! Your Programming Board will have events every month for you to attend and enjoy. There are 4 Programming Boards on campus: Craig/Duniway/Elrod, Aber, Jesse/Turner/Knowles, and Miller/Pantzer.

Being documented by the staff in all University housing areas means an alleged violation has occurred and all individuals present at the time will be documented through the student conduct code. The student conduct code process will allow for students to attend an administrative meeting and share their role in the situation to determine if any violations have occurred. All students enrolled at the University of Montana and Missoula College are obligated to follow the student conduct code. Any time a potential violation occurs, a report (documentation) is filed and everyone involved will be required to attend a meeting to resolve the potential violation(s).

The purpose of the Behavioral OPTIONS class is twofold: 1) To help people think about the behavior that got them into trouble while exploring options that might decrease or eliminate future troubles, and 2) To do so as soon as possible. OPTIONS has 3 phases, however, the initial class consists of a 2-hour multi-media presentation that teaches students the skills and information necessary to better manage their substance use. This is followed by a 3-hour seminar to discuss the “culture of drinking” that surrounds campus. The cost for this class is $85.00.

Prior to moving in, try contacting your roommate via the contact information provided on myHousingPortal. Work to establish room expectations or rules that you both can agree on. After you have moved into your room, your Resident Assistant (RA) will have a floor meeting and hand out roommate agreements for each room to use to communicate expectations of the room and each other. These agreements are completed at the beginning of the year; however, they can be modified as the year progresses and roommates learn more about each other and their living habits.

It is not uncommon for a small number of no shows to occur due to someone not cancelling their housing prior to the semester starting. A semester audit is completed during the first two weeks of the semester to determine what spaces are available due to late cancellations or no shows.  

If you do not have a roommate after all students are moved out of interim* rooms or if your roommate moves out during the semester, you will receive a three options letter. This letter will give you three options to choose from:

  • Option 1: You can keep the room as a double as a single. There is an additional charge to keep the room as a single. The additional daily charge will be prorated from the time your roommate moved out or was determined to be a no show. The semesterly rate for a double as a single can be found on the rates page.
  • Option 2: If you have a friend that would like to be your roommate, they can move into your room once approved by UM Housing.
  • Option 3: If you want a roommate, but do not know anyone needing a roommate, the UM Housing Office will find you a roommate. The UM Housing Office will try to find someone to move into your current room based off waitlists of students wanting to move into your hall. If no one is available from the waitlist and the only option is someone else that also chose option 3, the person that submitted their housing application first will determine who will move.

The three options letter is time sensitive as you will only have two days from the time it is sent to choose an option. The decision form included with the options letter must be completed and returned to the UM Housing Office. If you do not return the completed form by the deadline, you will default to option 1 and be charged for a double as a single. If you later decide to choose option 2 or 3, you will be charged the prorated double as a single rate until your new roommate has completed their move. If you choose option 2 or 3 by the deadline and later decide to keep the room as a single, you will be charged the prorated amount from the time of your original roommate's move out date. 

Once a decision is made, all moves must be completed within 48 hours of checking out the temporary key to the new room. If the official checkout is not completed within 48 hours, the resident moving will be charged the daily prorated amount for both rooms until the checkout is completed by an RA.

If your roommate moves out at the end of Fall Semester, the space will be used for new incoming students for Spring Semester. If you still do not have a roommate after the Spring Semester audit, you will be sent a three options letter.

*Generally, a small number of students are placed into interim housing which is temporary overflow housing used at the beginning of the semester. These interim students are placed into permanent rooms that were determined to be open after the semester audit.

About Campus and Missoula

There are many choices for activities on campus where you can interact with friends and meet new people. Around campus, many departments and clubs put together events and programs. In your halls, the Resident Assistant on your floor will provide multiple programs and 4 floor snacks each semester. These programs will be social to bond your floor, diverse, educational, teach you about health, and can help you get involved in the University and Missoula community. Make sure you look for advertisements around your hall for each program event. Additionally, the University Center provides all-campus programs for students. These vary from movies and comedy events to Prose & Poems and motivational speakers.

Missoula is a fun, diverse, and exciting community. There are so many wonderful opportunities this community offers to students. Many businesses offer student discounts with your Griz Card or allow you to use your UMoney at their locations. Feel free to enjoy activities such as ice skating, First Friday, Farmer's Market, many festivals and live bands in Caras Park, floating on the river, or just eating at great restaurants. To explore even more, please visit the Missoula Cultural Council website.

If you do decide to bring your car, parking lots are located throughout campus. If you park a car on campus, your vehicle must have a parking permit. You may purchase a parking permit by logging into CyberBear. For more information on rates and designated parking areas, please visit the UM Police Department website.
It is very easy to live on campus without a car. The University of Montana and the Missoula community are pedestrian and bicyclist friendly. The ASUM Transportation Office offers free bus service for students to the South Campus and Missoula College, as well as a downtown shuttle service in the evenings, Monday through Saturday. In addition, the Mountain Line city bus service offers regular routes all over town! In order to use these bus systems, you must have a valid Griz Card.