Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer



MYTH: Does the President of the University of Montana have the authority to negotiate collective bargaining agreements with those UM employees represented by unions?

FACT: All collective bargaining agreements must be negotiated and executed by the Commissioner of Higher Education on behalf of the Board of Regents. Even those agreements which cover only employees of the University of Montana-Missoula must be executed by the Commissioner of Higher Education. This is required by statute which defines the "public employer," in this instance the Board of Regents, and the exclusive representative of the Board is the Commissioner of Higher Education.

Human Resource Services

Emma B. Lommasson Center
Room 252

The University of Montana

Missoula, MT 59812

Phone: 406-243-6766

Fax: 406-243-6095