How do I file a claim for insurance?
Present your insurance card at every service provider visit. Most will file your charges to your insurer, if you go to an in-network provider. If not, you may be required to file your own claim. In that case, use the group number, your identification number and the claim office address indicated on your insurance card. Refer to your CHOICES Enrollment Workbook for a schedule of benefits. 

How do I add/delete a dependent to my insurance coverage?
There are only specific times, called "Qualifying Events", when you may add or delete a dependent from your insurance coverage.  When allowed to do so, you will be required to complete a mid-year change form with proof of qualifying event, within 63 days of the qualifying event. The effective date of the change will be the first day of the month following the date we receive the valid paperwork, within the deadline of 63 days.  The exception to this is birth of a child, where the mid-year change form must be submitted within 31 days of the birth and coverage would start on the date of birth.Refer to the CHOICES Enrollment Workbook for definition of “Qualifying Events” and for the Mid-Year change form. The effective date of the change will be the first day of the month following the date HRS receives the valid and completed paperwork.

As a new employee, when do my insurance benefits go into effect?
If you are in an insurance benefits eligible position, your insurance benefits begin the day you begin work at the University of Montana.  However, you must make your insurance benefits choices within 30 days of your first day of employment by filling out the CHOICES enrollment form and turning it into HRS in Lommasson 252 as quickly as possible.

If I terminate, when do my benefits end?
Your medical, dental, optional vision hardware benefits and flexible spending accounts will end on the last day of the month in which you work. Your life insurance, long-term disability and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) benefits will all end on the last day that you work. If you have a Tax Advantage Account (TAA) with Allegiance, the funds will be available to you until June 30, 2019. 

By federal law, you will be offered a COBRA extension plan in which you can continue medical, dental and/or vision coverage for up to 18 months by self-paying the premiums. Your medical insurer will automatically send you information on this coverage. You then have 60 days to elect this coverage. If elected, COBRA coverage will begin immediately after your group coverage ends.

Our life insurance plan has a portability clause that allows terminating employees under 65 the option to continue their life insurance coverage by self-paying the portability rate. You must apply for this coverage within 31 days of your last day worked. Refer to “Standard Portability Form. Human Resource Services must also complete a portion of this form, and get it to you so that you can meet the deadline. Review the Standard Insurance Group Life Portability Insurance Application.

What kind of insurance coverage do I have when traveling overseas?
Whether you travel for business or pleasure, 100 or 10,000 miles from home the Travel Assistance Program provides the necessary coverage. If you will be out of the country for more than 90 days, there is a form that must be completed and sent to the Montana University System Benefits office.

What is optional Long Term Care Insurance and what are the enrollment guidelines?
The Montana University System (MUS) has contracted with the UNUM Life Insurance Company to provide an additional benefit to eligible employees. Long Term Care Insurance is insurance you may purchase to provide custodial nursing care in the event the insured suffers the loss of at least two activities of daily living and/or the loss of cognitive functions due to old age, illness, or accident. Activities of daily living include eating, dressing, bathing, transferring, toileting, and continence.  Those individuals eligible for this insurance include current employees and their spouses, the employee's parents and grandparents, the spouses parents and grandparents, and retirees and their spouses.

New employees have 31 days after their date of hire to submit an application for enrollment without evidence of insurability. All other employees and retirees can apply at any time, however, evidence of insurability will be required by UNUM—see rates and information.