Student Payroll

How can I find a job?
Openings for student positions can be found on the Career Services web site. Career Services, located in the Emma B. Lommasson Center, posts vacancy announcements from other employers as well. In addition, job listings can be found on this site.

When do I get paid?
The University of Montana pays all student employees on a semi-monthly basis.

Click here for the Cycle Examples & Pay Dates.
Click here for the Semi-Monthly Pay Schedule.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?
Direct deposit forms may be obtained from Student Payroll Services and can be printed from this site (click here). All new direct deposit requests must go through a "pre-note process," which is the period of time needed for The University of Montana, your bank and the Federal Reserve to set up your account numbers for the funds transfer. This process takes approximately 30 days, or one full payroll process. Therefore, the first payment that you are to receive after signing up for a direct deposit will still be in the form of a check.

When are checks deposited to my bank account?
The actual time of day the direct deposit appears in your account depends on the individual bank.

Click here for the Semi-Monthly Pay Schedule.

What is the amount of my check?
You may view your payroll information on the CyberBear or you may contact Student Payroll Services at 243.6985.

Can I get an advance on my paycheck?
Advance payments are not permitted under University policy.

If my paycheck is not received on the 1st or 15th, can I get an Interim Check?
With the increased frequency of payment to the students:

Interim checks will not be processed for those missing a payroll cycle.
A missed payroll cycle will be processed with the next payroll cycle.

Can I get a copy of my Earnings Statement?
Yes. Earnings Statements can be obtained via CyberBear or by request from Student Payroll Services.

What are the deadlines for student employee paperwork?

Click here for the Semi-Monthly Pay Schedule.

Who is authorized to sign paperwork such as timecards, hiring cards, interim check requests and change of status forms?
The Supervisor or Department Head. Students are not authorized to sign these forms.

What is an I-9 and why do they keep coming back to me?
An I-9 Form is a Federal form that provides The University of Montana with verification of a person's eligibility to work in the United States. Sections 1 and 2 of the form must be completed entirely before an employee may begin working. Section 1 is the employee's portion that includes their name, social security number, address, date of birth, citizenship status, signature, and date block. Section 2 is the employer's portion where the employer examines and records the information from appropriate documents (see back of I-9 form for list of appropriate documents). All areas regarding these sections must be completed. Only a permanent staff or faculty employee may verify and sign Section 2 of this form. Temporary and Student employees are not authorized to complete this section. If any area is left blank or is incorrectly filled out, the hiring packet will be considered incomplete and will not be processed.

What are the maximum number of hours a student employee can work per week?
Work-Study student employees cannot exceed 19 hours per week. Non-Work-Study student employees cannot exceed 39 hours per week. Foreign student employees can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to and including 40 hours per week during school breaks, including summer session, regardless of whether they are Non-Work-Study or Work-Study status.

What is considered overtime and are students eligible to receive it?
Overtime for student employees are any hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. Work-Study students are not eligible for overtime. Any hours worked in excess of 40 by a Work-Study employee must be paid as Non-Work Study and is charged 100% to the employing department at a rate of time and one-half. (Refer to maximum number of hours students are eligible to work stated above.)

When does an employee need an entire Hiring Packet and when do they need just a Hire Card?
An entire Hiring Packet is needed when you are hiring a student that has never been employed by the University. If the student is a returning employee and has worked the previous summer or spring semester, then a Hire Card is all that is necessary.

What needs to be done to change a student's pay rate or index number on an existing job?
A Student Change of Status Form is needed to make these types of changes to a current job and Hire Card. These forms are available at

Click here for the Student Payroll Services.

Can I get a copy of my W-2?
W-2 forms are available for pickup from Human Resource Services normally by the third week of January for the previous year. If your form is not picked up by the last week of January, it will be mailed to your last known address on file, as listed in Human Resource Services. Special Note: There will be a $5.00 fee accessed for all duplicate W-2's.

What happens if I don't register with the Selective Service?
If you are a male, born after July 1, 1975, the Montana Compliance with Military Selective Service Act requires that you register with the Selective Service System unless you meet certain exemptions under Selective Service law. If you are required to register, but fail to do so, you are not eligible for employment with the Montana University System. If you have reached your 18th birthday, are under age 26, and have not registered, you must register. The Montana University System is prohibited from hiring you unless you are registered. You will be asked to fill out a Statement of Selective Service certifying your registration status upon initial hire.