Taxes & W2s

As required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the University of Montana must provide all employees a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement (W-2) each calendar year to be used by the employee in completing their annual Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ US Individual Income Tax Return. The W-2 statement details the employee’s wages, tax withholding and other important payroll information for the calendar year. In previous years, employees received paper copies of their W-2 statement.

As an alternative to the paper W-2 statement, University of Montana employees may elect to receive their W-2 statement electronically online through the Cyberbear Employee Self Service System. Please read the entirety of this notice and provide your consent to receive all future W-2 statement exclusively in electronic format.


  • Earlier employee access to the W-2 statement
  • The electronic W-2 statement can never be lost, stolen, delayed or misplaced by the US postal Service or by the employee
  • Accessibility to the electronic W-2 statement from anywhere the employee has access to a computer
  • Access to the form is securely protected through the Cyberbear portal

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows the use and distribution of W-2 statements in electronic form in lieu of paper forms.  In order to do so, employees must consent to receive their W-2 statement in electronic format by completing the following steps:

  • Go to Cyberbear:
  • Click on "Login to Cyberbear"
  • Enter your Net ID and Password
    Click on the Employee Tab
  • Select Tax Forms from the listing
  • Select W-2 Year End Earnings Statement
  • Select Tax Year and Employer
  • Select "OK" to provide your consent
  • Read the Electronic W-2 Consent Statement, check the Consent to receive W-2 Electronically check box
  • Click Submit
  • Click Printable W-2 at the bottom left of displayed W-2 Form for IRS authorized compatible form
Employees who started their employment with the University of Montana will need to email consent to

Notice: Employees who consent to receive his/her W-2 statement online will not receive a paper copy of the W-2 statement. If an employee does not consent, he/she will continue to receive a paper copy of the W-2 statement and will be mailed to their mailing address of record. An employee who chooses to receive his/her W-2 statement online can also receive a paper copy of the W-2 statement by contacting the Payroll Office. Request for a paper copy does not withdraw the employee's consent for electronic delivery of all future W-2 statements.

The employee can change his/her option and withdraw consent to online delivery by un-checking the consent check box and clicking the Submit button or by email and/or other written notice to:

University of Montana
Human Resource Services Payroll Office
Emma B. Lommasson Center Room 252
Missoula, MT 59812
Phone: 1.406.243.6766 or 1.406.243.6634

If consent is withdrawn, it will only be effective for W-2 statement not yet issued. All employees should be cognizant that the W-2 statement, even when provided electronically, should print the W-2 statement for personal record keeping. Each year's online electronic W-2 statement will remain online on the Cyberbear Employee Self Service.

For additional questions, please contact the University of Montana Human Resource Services Payroll Office at 1.406.243.6634 or email

January 21, 2015
W-2s processed and mailed via USPS.
April 15, 2015
Final filing day for Montana State and Federal Taxes.

Duplicate W-2 requests must include payment of the $5.00 fee. You may need to come back at a later date to pick up the requested duplicate.

W-2s can also be accessed via Cyberbear on January 17th. (This may be subject to change).

  • Log into Cyberbear using your NetID and password.
  • Click - Employee tab.
  • Click - Tax Forms.
  • Click - W-2 Year End Earnings Statement.
  • Select the Tax year using the drop down arrows.
  • Click - the Display button.
  • At the bottom of your displayed W-2, click - the Printable W-2 button.
  • Print your W-2 by click - FILE and then PRINT options on top menu.

Foreign Student & Scholar Services will be hosting a tax preparation seminar for foreign students & scholars. Contact their office at 243-2226 for more information.


  • Can request paper W-2s for their department.
  • Please use the W-2 Pick-Up Form.
  • HRS will assemble the requested W-2s.
  • HRS will notify the department when the list is ready for pick-up.
  • Department representative must bring photo ID
  • HRS cannot pull the W-2s while the department representative waits.
  • All requests must be legible and include the current address and UM 790 ID number for each employee.
  • The W-2 Pickup form must be received by HRS no later than January 16, 2015.

The Montana Department of Revenue Form 2EZ is comparable to the federal Form 1040EZ, and offers an improved filing option for taxpayers whose only sources of income are wages, interest and/or unemployment compensation. And, best of all, Form 2EZ can now be filed electronically - for free! To find out if you qualify to file Form 2EZ online or for information on filing requirements and deadlines, please visit the MT Department of Revenue or call (406) 444-6900 or toll-free (866) 859-2254.

The VITA Program offers free tax help to those with low-to-moderate income ($53,000 or less). Certified volunteers from the University of Montana receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in our community.

Gallagher Business Building, Room 209
Dates: Every Saturday beginning January 31st through March 7th
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
First come, first served--no appointments available.

Required Materials:

  • Photo ID and either:
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration, or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents.
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number of the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Returns that contain the following items of Schedules cannot be prepared by the Volunteers:
  • Any return with incomplete information.
  • Any return with a prior year carryover.
  • Schedule C: Expenses greater than $5,000, with depreciation, or that shows a low.
  • Schedule D: Undocumented basis; Losses that are required to be carried over to the next year.
  • Schedule E, Schedule F, and Schedule H are out of the Volunteer's scope.

Note: Special volunteer sessions will be held for Foreign National Students and Scholars on Saturday, March 14th and Saturday, March 21st from 9:00am until 4:00pm in the Gallagher Business Building, Room 209. (You must have an ITIN, and bring a completed Form 8843J).


Is money earned through a student work study job taxable?
Yes - this is considered taxable earnings and you will receive a W-2 that reflects those earnings. If you meet the requirements for tax filing, then you must file a federal Form 1040 that meets your specifications.

When will my W-2 be available for 2015?
The University of Montana's W-2s will be mailed on January 20th to the address on the form. Electronic versions will be available on Cyberbear after January 16th. Call Human Resource Services at 406-243-6766 for questions.

What if I have earned wages in more than one state?
You will most likely need to file state tax returns in each state in which you earned wages. You should get a tax booklet from each state and look for instructions for "part year residents." Most states have web sites available with this information - look for the link to its Department of Revenue or Secretary of the Treasury.

Can social security and Medicare amounts be refunded to me?
Taxes that have been paid into the social security and Medicare programs will not be refunded to you. These are taxes paid by all employed American citizens to fund the Old Age Survivors and Disability Insurance program. When you have reached the appropriate age, you will be able to sign up for financial assistance through this program.

How come there are no amounts in boxes 3, 4, 5, and 6 of my W-2?
You were either an enrolled student taking a minimum of 6 credits while you were employed, or you are a non-resident alien who is not subject to this tax. If you are taking a minimum of 6 credit hours and are in a student position, then you are not subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes. You are also not eligible to file for unemployment based on those wages. If you are a non-resident alien who has not met the established residency requirements, then you are also not eligible to participate in the social security program.