Recruitment & Hiring
HRS Recruitment manages and oversees the recruitment and hiring processes for faculty, contract professional, staff and temporary employees on campus. Recruitments are conducted at the department level and are guided by HRS Recruitment for compliance and consultation purposes. Information found on this website will help guide you through each step of the process. For more detailed information and personalized consultation, contact the HRS Recruitment Team directly.
Effective March 19, 2020, all hiring at the University of Montana is temporarily on hold. We are in the process of notifying all applicants as to the status of their application. If you have applied for a position, your application remains active. We appreciate your interest in employment at the University of Montana and hope your interest continues as we navigate this complex and rapidly changing situation. We will update you on the status of your application when updated information is available.
Approval of recruitments and hires is done through U-Approve. The following resources are to initiate the recruitment and support hiring managers through the process. Contact HRS Recruitment about recruitment timelines and planning as well as the necessary HRS review and approval steps.
The Recipe for a Successful Recruitment provides additional information from the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
- Faculty Ad Sample
- Contract Professional Ad Sample
- Advertisement Guide
- Search Committee Charge Example
- Screening Criteria Tool
- Interview Questions Sample
- Interview Questions Template
- Reference Check Sample/Template
- Recruitment Exceptions
Temporary Employment Pool
- HRS Recruitment maintains a pool of applicants who are interested in temporary work.
- Contact HRS Recruitment for access to the Temporary Pool.
- Interested candidates submit an application to the Temporary Employment (79-254) posting through the UM Jobs website at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/.
View Current Jobs
Visit the complete job listings here: UM Jobs
To login into the system: SilkRoad Recruiting
Training & Support
Training for departments and/or supervisors conducting recruitments is offered in a one-on-one setting. When a new recruitment is slated to begin, please contact our office for consultation and to schedule a personalized training session with a member of our recruitment team.
🏢 Lommasson Center Room 235
🕗 Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- HRS covers basic advertising through UM Jobs website, local job service center, and SilkRoad partner job boards.
- Each department is responsible for all additional advertising costs; however, all advertisements must be approved by HRS prior to being placed and will be placed by HRS’s contracted advertising agency.
- Please minimally include the abbreviated statement, “AA/EOE/ADA/Veterans Preference” at the bottom center of the ad in bold letters.Additional EO/AA language is available on the Diversity Language for Recruiting Advertisements
- The University of Montana uses SilkRoad Recruiting as its applicant tracking system (ATS) to collect, review, and store job applications.
- Applications are not submitted directly to the department except in the case of some temporary positions.
- Applications received by mail, in-person, emailed, or faxed will not be accepted or considered. Assistance is available to candidates needing help with the online application process. Please contact the HRS Recruitment office for assistance.
- Screening must be based on the candidates’ merit and qualifications relative to the role description and/or the position announcement.
- We do not use a
- No consideration may be made in the hiring process to an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, political ideas, sexual orientation, sex, age, marital or family status, or physical or mental disability, when the reasonable demands of the position do not require an age, physical or mental disability, marital status or sex distinction.
- Interview questions must be approved by HRS prior to conducting interviews.
- Ask only questions that are job specific.
- No questions may be asked regarding an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, political ideas, sexual orientation, sex, age, marital or family status, or physical or mental disability, when the reasonable demands of the position do not require an age, physical or mental disability, marital status or sex distinction.
- Be prepared to answer questions from the candidates
- It may be appropriate to refer question outside of the committee (e.g., HRS)
- All written notes from interviews must be forwarded to HRS Recruitment for recordkeeping.
- Conducted after an interview.
- Ask permission before contacting any references.
- Reference checking is done as due diligence to verify employment and performance.
- The personal information form is now completed through the U-Approve process. HRS Recruitment provides instructions to the hiring department and new employee for completing the additional new hire paperwork. Links to forms are available under Hiring website.
- New Hire Personnel Paperwork should be sent directly to your Human Resource Associate in HRS.
- HRS Recruitment issues background checks through Accurate Background, Inc.
- Requests for background checks are done through the U-Approve process.
- Background checks are no longer submitted through the online background check form.
- If a background is needed for an employee or volunteer not hired through U-Approve, please contact the Recruitment Team for assistance.
- Criminal Background Investigations Policy
- Criminal Background Investigations Procedure