Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer



The Federal Work-Study Program is a federally funded financial aid program offered to students who demonstrate a financial need. The award provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Awards are determined by the Financial Aid Office. The program is partially subsidized by the federal government, but the hiring department is still responsible for paying a percentage of the student’s wages. The current percentage is 30% but is subject to change. Students earn work-study funds by performing part-time work (no more than 19 hours per week while school is in session and up to 29 hours per week during breaks) for employers either on the University campus or with a work-study approved non-profit agency located off campus.

To receive work-study, students must:

1. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), meeting priority deadlines.
2. Demonstrate financial need.

If ineligible for a work-study award, a student may only apply for the non-work-study jobs. To see listings posted for both work-study and non-work-study positions please visit the Student Employment Career Services Webpage. It is important to note that not all departments advertise position openings with Career Services so personally inquiring about positions with departments may prove beneficial.


Financial Aid Office

Career Services


For information regarding:

Work-study awards
Balance information
Work-study hire cards

Contact Enrollment Services - Financial Aid Office in Griz Central at 406.243.4224.

Human Resource Services

Emma B. Lommasson Center
Room 252

The University of Montana

Missoula, MT 59812

Phone: 406-243-6766

Fax: 406-243-6095