Instructions for Using AUP Applications and Supplemental Forms
You must submit an Animal Use Protocol (AUP) application and have an approved animal use protocol from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) before you begin any work, either on or off campus, which utilizes animals in any capacity for performing your job or any affiliated work with the University of Montana.
Graduate students are required to list an advisors or mentor(s) (i.e. a faculty member) as the "Principle Investigator."
Instructions for using this form:
- Getting Started
- Your answers will appear in a different typeface than the text of the form itself, making it much easier to distinguish answers from questions. On the screen, your answers will appear in color.
- Download the AUP application applicable to your study (lab animal, wildlife or observational). If you need to include any of the supplemental sections (Sections II-VI), they are available on the AUP forms page.
- You must complete all of Section I (AUP application). It may be necessary to complete other sections, depending on the nature of your experiments.
- The "Section" files for completing Sections II-VI are attached in separate files if you need to fill them out. Please send these as e-mail attachments and we will combine them with Section I.
- Submitting your AUP
- Save the completed AUP form as a MS Word document and submit it electronically as an e-mail attachment to the IACUC coordinator, Kathryn.Mariucci@umontana.edu.
- Be sure to submit Section I (AUP application) and any other necessary supplemental forms (Sections II-VI).
- Your protocol will be reviewed using the "designated reviewer" process or by "full committee review." For more information about IACUC review procedures go to: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/GuideBook.pdf.
- Once approved, your protocol and approval letter will be e-mailed to you and will be available on line for your convenience. A username and password will be e-mailed to you for access anytime.
- Please be advised that misconduct, violations of IACUC guidelines or LAR policies can result in suspension of your protocol. See complaints and violations on the IACUC web site for details.
- You must amend your protocol if there are substantial changes regarding the following: The number or type of animals used, permanent personnel working on the project, non-invasive stress or restraint, euthanasia, controlled substance use, or changes in any of the specialized procedure areas (Sections II-VI). Contact the IACUC Coordinator for advice on major versus minor amendments.
- Viewing and amending your protocol.
- Once submitted, your protocols are available online. If you would like online access to your protocols, please contact Donna Lewis or Kathy Mariucci for the user name and password.
- Using the user name and password, you may access your protocols at http://www.umt.edu/iacuc. These are read only documents, but they may be downloaded.
- To amend your protocol, send an e-mail to Kathryn.firstname.lastname@example.org describing the change. Following a brief review, the amended protocol will be emailed to you and posted in your web folder.
- Each protocol has an annual renewal date and a maximum three year term. Thus, you must annually renew your protocol by reviewing it (online), making any necessary amendments (as above) and resubmitting it. If there are no amendments, simply write an e-mail to Kathryn.Mariucci@umontana.edu to that effect. After three years you must re-submit the protocol anew.
- Be advised that the IACUC may ask you to come to a committee meeting and answer questions about your AUP. This may occur at any time because any IACUC committee member may request review of an AUP whether it is pending or has already been approved.
For additional assistance on animal care and use, contact:
Donna Lewis, D.V.M.
Director, Department of Lab Animal Resources
Attending Veterinarian, LAR
005 Davidson Honors College
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812
phone: (406) 243-6344, (406) 546-2872
fax: (406) 243-6094
Department of Lab Animal Resources
phone: (406) 243-4892; (406) 243-2358
For assistance on IACUC related matters or AUP problems contact:
Coordinator, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
004 Davidson Honors College
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812
phone: (406) 243-6395
fax: (406) 243-6094