Find an Intern
Many academic departments at the University of Montana require or strongly encourage their students to complete internships during their undergraduate/graduate careers. Therefore, the University offers a viable source of potential interns for your company or organization. With close faculty supervision and support, these interns offer a wide range of growing skills and new ideas, but they need your help to gain the experience and confidence necessary to use them effectively.
There are three ways you can begin searching for your next intern. Please review the different processes below and let us know if we can offer you any assistance.
Intern Request Form
The quickest and easiest way to advertise for an intern is by completing the Intern Request Form. This is an especially good option if you have not advertised with us in the past; however, past employers are welcome to use this form as well. Before you fill out the form, be sure to have the job description, applicant qualifications, position details, and application procedures in mind. Your request will be automatically submitted to our office and processed within 48 hours. If you do not already have an account on Griz eRecruiting, we will set one up for you when we process your request. If we need additional information or clarification, we will contact you before posting the position.
All of our internships are advertised through the Griz eRecruiting database. As an employer, you are given a profile where you can advertise both internships and jobs, arrange on-campus interviews, register for career fairs, and manage online applications for your positions. Positions advertised through this database are seen by the thousands of University of Montana students who also have accounts. Through your account you can also delete, extend, or add internship listings at your leisure; however, all positions are reviewed by our department before they are made active. If you are interested, you can sign-up for a Griz eRecruiting account right now!
Request a Site Visit
If you desire, a staff member from Internship Services will visit your Missoula area company/organization to talk about creating an internship program, recruiting students, and/or how to use Griz eRecruiting. If you live outside of the immediate area, we will gladly contact you via phone to provide additional information. You are also welcome to come to our office to meet our staff and see our campus. Please fill out the Site Visit Request Form to get started!
We would also be happy to come and visit after you have hired an intern if you have any questions or concerns we can help with.
Advertising Tips and Recommendations
- Application procedures are up to the employer. Application materials may include: resume, cover letter, references, transcripts, writing samples, etc. Many employers choose to have these materials emailed to the hiring party directly; however, you may also choose to have the students apply directly through Griz eRecruiting.
- Before listing a position, determine the intern’s role in your organization; whether the internship will be paid or unpaid; and develop a job description that includes anticipated tasks, responsibilities, compensation, and work dates. The more detail the better!
- Flexibility is a key attraction for students, especially if the position is unpaid.
- Make your expectations clear.
- Review and rank internship candidates as applications are received by your organization.
- You can conduct interviews at your office or we can also coordinate on-campus interviews, whichever is more convenient.
- If you will be accepting applications on an "open until filled" basis instead of waiting until a specific deadline date, please make this clear in your application instructions.
- Once you select an intern, notify our office. If you hire a student intern prior to the deadline date, please notify our office immediately so we can close the internship listing.