Find an Internship
What is an Internship?
Internships: Out-of-classroom experiences that provide practical exposure to a career, industry, or field of study to supplement classroom education.
Internships take many different forms and are often tailored to fit specific academic and career goals. The compensation, estimated total hours, location, work environment, and duration of internships varies greatly depending on the employer.
Internships provide an opportunity for career exploration and confidence building. An internship can also be a time of self-assessment when students clarify their strengths, weaknesses, and work environment preferences. Internship benefits include valuable hands-on experiences, resume building, and networking with professionals in their chosen fields.
Where can I Find an Internship?
- Log on to Griz eRecruiting. Search our online database for internships via your major, desired location, or keyword. New positions are added daily! (see additional information below)
- Make an appointment. If you are having trouble finding an internship that interests you, make an appointment with an Internship Coordinator by calling 406-243-2815. If you are interested in International Internships, our international internship coordinator can help you find the opportunity that is right for you.
- Conduct creative research. Search websites, blogs, newsletters, and social media for internships being offered in your major. If you know you want to work with a specific organization or company, review their website for established internship programs.
- Create your own. If you are interested in a company/organization not currently advertising an internship, we can help you contact them about setting one up! Remember to talk to your faculty advisor before pursuing any internship experiences.
- Connect with professionals in your field. Use social media and Linkedin to make connections with established professionals, don't be afraid to ask around about potential openings and let people know that you are looking!
- Network. Ask your professors, departmental secretary, peers, parents, and friends if they know of any potential internship.
- Explore other resources. Check out the Volunteer Missoula website, the Missoula Job Service, or other job boards and websites found on our Best Internship Websites handout.
Steps for using Griz eRecruiting
Griz eRecruiting is an online database managed jointly by Internship Services and Career Services to help students find internships and jobs that fit their needs and academic goals. Many of the positions listed on the site are found right here in Montana, but opportunities in other Northwest states are also common, depending on your field of study. You can search for internship opportunities via major, location, timeframe, or company/organization. You also have the ability to set-up automatic emails that alert you when a new internship/job is posted that matches your search criteria. Follow the directions below to get started and/or watch this video.
- All students already have a Griz eRecruiting account set up for them! Log in with your NetID using the box to the left!
- Once you are logged in to your account, click on the "Jobs/Internships" link near the top of the page.
- The easiest way to search for internships is by selecting the majors you are interested in. To do so, click on the "Add/Remove" button, select the "+" next to your school and department, and finally checkmark all majors that apply to your desired search. When finished, hit "Continue" at the bottom of the screen.
- You can also search for internships using the keyword, location, or other fields provided.
- Once you have a generated list of internships, you can further filter the positions by using the filter field at the top of the list. NOTE: Use only the two-letter abbreviation for state names to filter by location.
- If you would like to set up an auto email to alert you when additional internships/jobs are posted that fit your criteria, select the "Email me new jobs" link at the top of your results list. The system will use the email listed on your profile page.
- Use the application instructions listed within the listing to apply for positions.
You also have the ability to add positions to your "Favorites" by clicking on the star to the left of the listing. For more information on how to use Griz eRecruiting to search or apply for internships, please contact us and/or watch this video!