IT exit information
To make your transition as smooth as possible we have listed out some technology access/account information you should think about BEFORE your end date. You and your department should determine what would work best for your situation.
University Exchange Account (MSO Email):
- We recommend that you setup these options right away:
- Modify your signature file to indicate that you are leaving the University and who should be contacted for University business.
- Set up an Out Of Office message that indicates you are leaving the University and who should be contacted for University business.
- Work with your department to determine if your email is to be forwarded, if so please set that rule in place before your last day.
- On your last day modify your Out of Office message to indicate that you are no longer with the University and how you want future communications to be handled.
Unless you are a retiree your domain account will be deactivated and disabled on 1/2/18. This will terminate login access to your email account. Your account will continue to process email, including running all rules, forwards and out of office responses, for approximately 120 days. After that the account will completely go away and any email sent to that address will bounce back.
UM Domain Account (UM\first.last):
On Monday, January 2 all retiree domain accounts will be moved to the UM Management area and removed from any groups and distribution lists. This will allow you to continue to access your UM email account.
All other VSO user domain accounts will be disabled, moved to the deprovisioned folder (where they will remain for approximately 120 days) and removed from all groups and distribution lists. This will remove the ability to login to UM computers and access shared network resources such as folder lists and printers.
Unless you are a retiree, your UMontana alias will stop functioning on December 31, 2017. This means any email addressed to your UMontana alias (firstname.lastname@example.org) will bounce back. Any email sent your MSO account (email@example.com) will continue to process email as noted in the section above.
UM Campus Phone:
Work with your department to determine which of these options would work best for your situation.
- Terminate the phone so the caller gets a disconnected number message. If your department decides this is the best route, have the departmental authorized telecommunications person (typically the administrative assistant) complete the online request form found on our telephone support page
- Forward the phone to another colleague. If your phone does not have a Forward button you can manually forward by first getting a dial tone, dial #1, dial the number to forward your phone to then hang up. Your colleague will need your voicemail password to be able to check messages left at your old number.
- Request an informational mailbox that does not accept voicemail but has a generic recording that informs the caller you are no longer at the University and redirects them to another number. If your department decides this is the best route, have the departmental authorized telecommunications person (typically the administrative assistant) complete the online request form found on our telephone support page and provide the number calls should be sent to.
- The greeting will be “The individual you attempted to call is no longer associated with the University; please hold while your call is transferred to a departmental employee”.
- Please note that if this option is selected all old messages will be deleted.
- Voicemail: if the phone is to be continued be sure that someone in your department has access to your voicemail box.
UMBox account:IT can move your Box account, complete with all folders and files to either:
- A departmental share folder, if your department has one setup
- Another colleague’s UM Box account.
- To request a UM Box account move please send an email from your University account to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the UMontana alias of the account to be moved and the departmental data folder or UMontana alias of the employee the folders should be moved to.
- For personal files in Box we recommend you create a personal Box account and move those personal files over to your personal Box account.
While Retirees maintain NetID access, all others that elected to take the VSO will have an inactive status flag placed on their NetID as of 12/30/17. Those applications that require an active status flag will stop working at that point in time.
- Box login
- Campus wireless
- Computer login
- Library online resources
ALL former employees will always have access to CyberBear with NetID and password.
Cascade: If currently you have Cascade access, please email email@example.com to inform the web team of your departure and request your access be disabled.
UMOnline: access will be terminated 1/2/18.
If you have MS Office software installed on your personal computer through UM’s MS HUP licensing agreement you will need to uninstall that software.
GrizCard Door Access:
Your department should notify the Griz Card Office to terminate any Griz Card access.
- Please provide employee’s name, UM ID and access to be terminated
Please feel free to contact IT Central at firstname.lastname@example.org or 243-HELP (4357) for additional questions you have.