Telephone use policy

Use of The University of Montana-Missoula telephone system

The University of Montana-Missoula provides telephone services to its faculty and staff for official University business, to students living in University-provided housing for their personal use, and to all University students and the general public as a courtesy while using University facilities. Use of the University's telephone system must be in accordance with all policies governing the use of University facilities, the UM-Missoula Student Conduct Code, Montana University System policies, and state and federal law.

University employees may make limited use of University-provided telephones for essential personal business as long as such calls are not excessive and do not interfere with official University business. Examples of essential personal business include calls to family members (e.g., "latch-key" children), teachers, doctors, day-care centers, or babysitters to inform them of unexpected schedule changes.

In accordance with University and state policy, University employees who make personal long-distance calls MUST either call collect, or charge the call to a (non-University) third party telephone number, calling card or Pre-paid card. Employees may not make personal long-distance calls using State of Montana Telephone Network facilities, even if the University is subsequently reimbursed.