UM Box support
Box is a cloud-based storage and collaboration tool from Box.com. UM provides the enterprise version of Box available exclusively to higher education institutions.
To provision your account, click on the UM Box login button on the right, continue to UM login and enter your NetID and password. You must have an active UMontana alias to provision your account.
If you need the accessible UM Box site, follow the login directions on the right.
UM Box storage space unlimited
UM worked with Box and Internet2 to provide unlimited space for UM users. UM accounts have 1TB limit associated with them, but users can request additional space as needed. The single file upload size limit is 15GB.
An important note on UM Box invitations
When inviting an employee to collaborate in Box, you must use their UMontana alias; for students use their NetID@umconnect.umt.edu address.
UM Box FAQs
What can I do with UM Box?
Here are some use cases for UM Box:
- Share files with others by moving them to Box and sharing a link rather than emailing an attachment or sharing on a flash drive.
- Collaborate on documents with others on the UM campus or beyond.
- Back up important documents securely. UM users have unlimited storage space.*
- Access your files from any computer or mobile device.
*UM Box accounts are set with a 1TB limit, but users can request additional storage space as needed.
How is UM Box different from Box.com?
Here are some ways in which UM Box is different than Box.com
- UM Box allows more data storage for individuals (unlimited vs. 5 GB).
- UM Box users authenticate locally using the UM NetID and password.
- UM Box includes specific contractual protections around data ownership and security.
Can I use UM Box for sensitive data?
While UM Box provides robust security suitable for sensitive information, such as data protected by FERPA and HIPAA, we recommend that you not place sensitive data in UM Box because of the ease in which files can be shared with others.
I already use Dropbox. Why should I use UM Box?
You can continue to use Dropbox or other cloud storage services. However, UM Box is not mined for marketing purposes.
Other benefits include:
- Single sign-on authentication using your UM NetID and password
- Ease of sharing and collaborating with other UM employees or students
- UM Box meets UM's progressive accessible technology guidelines
I already have a Box.com account. How do I get my files into UM Box?
I use Microsoft's Distributed File System (DFS) to store and share files. Is Box replacing DFS?
UM Box is replacing much of the functionality provided by DFS. Providing on campus data storage and file sharing is a losing proposition for IT versus cloud opportunities. Moving to cloud service affords many advantages including pricing, scaling opportunities, self-service for customers, mobile access and data persistence without a UM need to backup. Some DFS functionality will remain for certain needs, but the service will be phased-out for individuals.
Our group needs to share files. Does UM Box allow group sharing?
UM Box is an individual-based tool. That means that group collaboration is done by one individual uploading a file and then inviting others and setting permissions for others to collaborate.
What if an individual holding important file shares leaves UM?
Like any data that individuals may hold in their devices, accounts, etc. at the time they leave UM, a transfer of information will be required to preserve or move data from an individual UM Box account into another. UM Box service allows administration of our data, so we at least have the possibility of helping a department or unit find and move the data, if appropriate to do so, upon a staff or faculty member leaving UM.
What happens when a student graduates or leaves UM?
Students can move UM Box accounts into a free or paid Box account when they leave UM. An advantage for students is that Box.com will provide them an enhanced, free account during the transition.
UM Box and accessibility
For UM Box with accessibility features:
- Go to a.box.com
- Click login and enter your umontana or umconnect email address (no password required)
- You will be redirected to UM's login page where you enter your NetID and password
IT Central help desk
Open Monday-Friday, 8-5
Social Sciences 120
243-HELP or 243-4357